James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:21:34 -0800

Popularity is no indication of quality.

> > I personally think BP is brilliant. It's got great music, cool mecha
> > concepts, ...and this wonderful atmosphere that Tomino always
> > delivers. Those of you who want a taste of Turn-A gundam, should
> > check out BP as they are similar in many ways. In fact I'd argue that
> > BP is a better work than Turn-A.
>
> I don't think so - BP just left me confused - the story just seems to go
>from here to there without a good reason, and the characters are so
>"generic" that it's hard to like them... To me, it has pretty much all the
>elements of robot anime, but it just seems to be not very done, as the stuff
>doesn't stick together that well. The heroine of the story has a whiny
>voice, which is always a minus for a "serious" series...

Heh, the Heroine (Hime) in BP is voiced by the same actress as Soshie
in Turn-A so get used to it.

Yeah, i agree the whole Orphen/ organic engine stuff is confusing,
and I would add that I felt the animation was barely acceptable.
There are A LOT of characters but they don't seem so generic when you
become familiar with them. (reading Animerica's article on BP
helped). I guess to each his own, but I loved how subtle the
conscience Mecha were portrayed, and I enjoyed trying to decipher
orphen along with the heros. I like a series that plays out subtly.

-James