Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:36:48 +0800 (SGT)

> Well, to be honest I fudged a bit and assumed that one He3-H2
>reaction would produce 1 Minovsky particle; if more are produced then it
>gets simpler.
>
> But since the amount of Minovsky particles produced per unit time
>should be directly proportional to the number of reactions per unit time,
>the simplest way to create a lot of particles is to burn a lot of Helium and
>Hydrogen -- and the fastest way to consume a lot of these is in a fusion bomb.
>
> If we go just one step beneath that, we should be able to create a
>large "breeder" reactor (different explanation for the word "breeder" here),
>but it's probably unstable as heck. Which *might* explain why I-field
>generators are so unstable in the beginning.
>
> Incidentally, since there should be a critical mass at which the
>fusion reaction would runaway, this suggest that there is an upper limit to
>the number of Minovsky particles that can be generated for any reactor..

Precisely my point. What makes you so sure that it's even physically
possible for a warship size I-Field to be created? ^_^

> I don't think there are any appreciable increase in beam weapon
>strength since the OYW; just a hunch, really. Since mega-particle release is
>related to the energy input to the I-field prior to the critical point..
>argh, how do I explain this.
>
> Basically, as a mega-particle is release when the I-field density
>reaches a point -- and assuming you can't artifically keep the charged
>Minovsky particles from combining at that point -- all mega-particles would
>basically be released at the same speed, whether it's a OYW vintage or a
>SOTA beam rifle. And since mass and velocity of the particles directly
>translate to damage, the damage of any beam weapon is probably similar.

> So, this begs the question -- what about VSBR? Well, no explanation
>really. I suspect that focus plays a huge part in this weapon, not the
>so-called "Variable Speed". I suspect in the beam-shield-punching mode, the
>I-field guiding the beam is so small that the mega-particles are really
>compacted together, increasing the damage at the location. At the opposite
>end, the I-field would be wider, giving rise to a shotgun effect.

So what's to prevent other beam weapons from implementing this technology to
increase their offensive potential?
Besides, I'm sure there are other ways to artificially accelerate or
otherwise increase the power of a beam shot...

(Actually, I'll admit the reason for saying this is because in Blood of
Jion, beam weapons get progressively stronger, and since the game is
extremely close to bona-fide Gundam, it seemed a reasonable assumption.)

Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)