Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:38:20 +0800

At 20:40 11/10/2000 +0800, Zhou Tai An wrote:
>One thing I'm curious about, though - what makes you so sure Minovsky
>reactors which produce enormous about of particles can actually be
>constructed feasibly?

        Well, to be honest I fudged a bit and assumed that one He3-H2
reaction would produce 1 Minovsky particle; if more are produced then it
gets simpler.

        But since the amount of Minovsky particles produced per unit time
should be directly proportional to the number of reactions per unit time,
the simplest way to create a lot of particles is to burn a lot of Helium and
Hydrogen -- and the fastest way to consume a lot of these is in a fusion bomb.

        If we go just one step beneath that, we should be able to create a
large "breeder" reactor (different explanation for the word "breeder" here),
but it's probably unstable as heck. Which *might* explain why I-field
generators are so unstable in the beginning.

        Incidentally, since there should be a critical mass at which the
fusion reaction would runaway, this suggest that there is an upper limit to
the number of Minovsky particles that can be generated for any reactor..

>You might point me to the Byg Zam - to which I say
>that mega-particle weapons in the OYW were probably weaker then, which
>allowed the MA to block them.

        I don't think there are any appreciable increase in beam weapon
strength since the OYW; just a hunch, really. Since mega-particle release is
related to the energy input to the I-field prior to the critical point..
argh, how do I explain this.

        Basically, as a mega-particle is release when the I-field density
reaches a point -- and assuming you can't artifically keep the charged
Minovsky particles from combining at that point -- all mega-particles would
basically be released at the same speed, whether it's a OYW vintage or a
SOTA beam rifle. And since mass and velocity of the particles directly
translate to damage, the damage of any beam weapon is probably similar.

        So, this begs the question -- what about VSBR? Well, no explanation
really. I suspect that focus plays a huge part in this weapon, not the
so-called "Variable Speed". I suspect in the beam-shield-punching mode, the
I-field guiding the beam is so small that the mega-particles are really
compacted together, increasing the damage at the location. At the opposite
end, the I-field would be wider, giving rise to a shotgun effect.

>Anyway, I await the stream of mails that will
>no doubt follow Lim-san's posting...

        I doubt so; the posting is way too technical, even though most of it
is elementary physics and logic..