Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:17:42 +0800 (SGT)

>You guys seem to be off a bit about how explosives will react to high
>acceleration. For one thing, it won't really matter since nonimpact detonated
>explosives are in fact electrically detonated. In order to launch the round
>from an electromagnetic cannon, though, you will first have expose the round
>to a very high electric changer (from the rails of the gun). This change is
>what is used to propel the round down the rails of the gun. Now, what good is
>it to use impact resistant explosives if your are going to detonate it before
>it can even leave the barrel? To not use this kind of explosive is to
>detonate it as soon as the round starts to move, so your gun is screwed
>either way.

No, I'm talking about an explosive which will denotate UPON impact, not when
being launched from the gun. Alternatively, you could have the MS's computer
automatically sense the impact and denotate it.

>One common suggestion is to coat a Lexon slug with aluminum, so that when the
>charge occurs, the aluminum flashes into plasma (which is charged), allowing
>the nonmetallic round to be used by the railgun. The problem with this is
>that most likely, the Lexon will melt do the contact heat from the aluminum
>plasma. And a melted insulator is of course no insulator at all.

Could you explain this in more detail? It seems interesting, but I don't see
what you mean.

>A much better used of a ship defeating railgun would be one that could fire
>Shipkiller missiles at thousands of gravities, so that the missiles will
>arrive on target traveling too fast to be avoided after detection. And of
>course, the ranges we are talking about are equivalent to shooting at a ship
>in Jovian orbit while the sniper is still in Earth orbit. The round would
>take days to reach its target at those velocities, but it will be able to use
>its fuel to adjust its course to stay on target rather than using the same
>limited fuel to boost all the way to its target.
>
>But how do you mask the huge EMP from such a massive cannon? Minovsky
>particles, of course!
>
>So, now, why would you want to kill something that far away? And how do you
>know where it is in the first place, when people in the Gundam universe
>obviously don't use telescopes to watch the other planets, nor do they seem
>to have any idea when ships are launched, where those ships are going, and
>how fast are they trying to get there. This is information we can have with
>today's technology and scientific community, but not, it seems, in the
>Universal Century.

Interesting suggestion, but with the high density of Minovsky particles, the
tracking systems won't be able to get a lock on the fleets to fire your
suggested missiles.

Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)