Chaos025@aol.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:46:00 EST

In a message dated 11/10/00 5:38:14 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg writes:

> You can use basic explosive though, if the explosive
> won't prematurely detonate under the acceleration
> stress. Though you will probably want to go for a high
> yield explosive, which drives the cost per round up.

You guys seem to be off a bit about how explosives will react to high
acceleration. For one thing, it won't really matter since nonimpact detonated
explosives are in fact electrically detonated. In order to launch the round
from an electromagnetic cannon, though, you will first have expose the round
to a very high electric changer (from the rails of the gun). This change is
what is used to propel the round down the rails of the gun. Now, what good is
it to use impact resistant explosives if your are going to detonate it before
it can even leave the barrel? To not use this kind of explosive is to
detonate it as soon as the round starts to move, so your gun is screwed
either way.

"Then you'll insulate the explosives from the rails?" , you say.

"How much insolation will be enough, and how much more will this weapon cost
than a beam weapon with the same performance specs?" , I reply.

One common suggestion is to coat a Lexon slug with aluminum, so that when the
charge occurs, the aluminum flashes into plasma (which is charged), allowing
the nonmetallic round to be used by the railgun. The problem with this is
that most likely, the Lexon will melt do the contact heat from the aluminum
plasma. And a melted insulator is of course no insulator at all.

You could build the round to withstand the heat, or even give it an I-field
of it's own, but then your going back to putting too much effort and money
into a system that just doesn't fit its proposed use.

A much better used of a ship defeating railgun would be one that could fire
Shipkiller missiles at thousands of gravities, so that the missiles will
arrive on target traveling too fast to be avoided after detection. And of
course, the ranges we are talking about are equivalent to shooting at a ship
in Jovian orbit while the sniper is still in Earth orbit. The round would
take days to reach its target at those velocities, but it will be able to use
its fuel to adjust its course to stay on target rather than using the same
limited fuel to boost all the way to its target.

But how do you mask the huge EMP from such a massive cannon? Minovsky
particles, of course!

So, now, why would you want to kill something that far away? And how do you
know where it is in the first place, when people in the Gundam universe
obviously don't use telescopes to watch the other planets, nor do they seem
to have any idea when ships are launched, where those ships are going, and
how fast are they trying to get there. This is information we can have with
today's technology and scientific community, but not, it seems, in the
Universal Century.

SJ

EXO Mechanical Editor & Mecha Designer
http://www.exo-armor.com