Scott DiBerardino (sdiberar@student.umass.edu)
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:50:12 -0500

Lim Jyue writes:

> One thing that bugs me. If the I-field is so effective at blocking
> beam weapons, but requires large generators and coolant systems, why didn't
> they build the !#$@$ thing into warships? Granted, the expense should be
> high, but protecting valuable ships like MS carriers is crucial, especially
> when you consider how limited MS ranges are.

Long-range missiles are still one of the primary weapons used in
ship-to-ship combat (see especially CCA), and of course I-Fields would have
no effect against them. As relatively immobile targets, ships wouldn't have
as much of a chance as an MA of dodging such attacks. High cost may be a
factor as well.

--
-scott   \\   sdiberar@student.umass.edu