Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:59:18 -0500

A G-Gundam OVA would be interesting, but it probably won't happen, since
it's not as 'big' as it was. I think the only reason Bandai's doing the PG
Zero and rereleasing the old Wing kits in new packaging is to appeal to
Americans, although I think GW probably has some lingering popularity in
Japan...it is the most sucessful alternate universe after all, with a follow
up OAV and quite a few manga spin-offs.
 I wonder how the designs could be retconned?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of James Boren
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 1:09 PM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: Re: [gundam] Who should do the next Gundam?

> >Director:
> >Shoji Kawamori- After Macross Plus and Escaflowne, skip the mecha
> >designs and give this man a gundam series to direct.
>
>No, HIDEAKI ANNO. ^_^ After all, Gundam is about big mecha with depressed
>pilots - who else but him?

Gainax only works on their own ideas, so I don't see this as a
possibility. Still, who knows what you would get if Anno took the
reins.

> >Runner ups:
> >Katsuhiro Otomo- Big-time, pull-out-all-the-stops anime
> >movie.(Didn't he do a five-minute film for the 20th aniversery of
> >Gundam?)
>
>Or rather, end the movie with blowing up everything while classical music
>plays.

That sounds like gundam to me ^_^ !

> >Tomino- Sure, why not? He may not give the fans what they want--but
> >always gives you something worthwhile.
>
>True.
>
>How about Oshii? He'll give you some weird Gundam...

And only 2 sec. of MS action. Oh and what happened to this man's
sense of humor? I wouldn't mind seeing a little of the old Oshii from
his UY and Patlabor TV series days.

How about giving Imagawa another crack at Gundam? I hope his G-Gundam
experience didn't sour him because Gundam can always use a dose of
Super Robot action. (G-Gundam OVA sequel-yeah!)

> >Character Design:
> >Range Murata- This guy did the charas for Blue sub no.6 and think his
> >style would fit gundam well.
> >
> >Runner up:
> >Toshihiro Kawamoto- 0083, 08th MS team, Cowboy bebop, hey the man is
good.

>I have some people in mind but no names, so I'll skip this section for now.
>
> >Mecha Design:
> >I can't seem to dig up his name right now but that guy who designed
> >the Cannon Ifurite and the Will Game for Turn-A. I like his stuff.
> >Give him head design chores for the next one.
>
>I'll still go with Kawamori. He's the man. Failing that, you can use the
>Armored Core designer or Nagano.

Heh, Kawamori did do the designs for Armored Core. Honestly I
wouldn't mind if any of the stalwarts like Katoki or Izubuchi, (or
Kawamori or Nagano) did the mecha, but I wanted to bring some new
names up.

> >Music:
> >Yoko Kanno- She can do anything
>
>Mostly, but she returns to her classical roots often. I'd agree with you
here.

> >runner up:
> >Masamichi Amano- He did the full-bore orchestrations of the Giant Robo
OVAs.

>Kenji Kawai's BGMs are excellent...
>
>Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
>
>"There is no one simple truth." - Rune Walsh

-James