Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:13:51 +1100

Just wondering whether I'm the only person who ISN'T convinced that Newtype
ablilties make a pilot invincible to normal humans? I know the heroes of
all Tomino's series (except maybe Turn A) are newtypes, but still...

Firstly, from what I know, Newtype abilities consist of rapid skill
development, improved perception, psychic abilities, and the ability to use
funnels/bits. These can be useful, but I don't think they guarantee
invincibility. The rapid skill development thing is good, but presumably a
human pilot with enough experience could gain a similar skill level.

My second reason has to do with the Wing series and the Zero system (I
personally am a part of the very small minority that believes that at least
some of the Wing boys are in fact newtypes (based on very small pieces of
evidence), but that's probably beside the point here). The Zero system
improves a pilot's skill by predicting the enemy's movements, much like
Newtypes can. However, I remember something about the effectiveness of
this method decreasing as the pilot's skill increased, and use of the
system actually DECREASING the skills of Heero and Zechs... which would
mean, NT or not, they have skills equivalent to them.

Third, Amuro and Char, probably the best pilots in UC, aren't very powerful
Newtypes. If Newtype ability was that big a factor in skill, then
shouldn't the more powerful newtypes be the best pilots?

Finally, there have been incidents of normal humans beating newtypes. Not
counting "first battle" scenarios, Amuro got his butt kicked by Ranba Ral
the first time they fought, Quess was killed by Chien (don't think Chien
was a newtype, but it's been a while since I saw CCA), and Garoad beat
Kallis in Gundam X.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Andrew Dynon

Things We Learn From Anime: A PO'd Tennyo on a murderous
search for vengeance is more attractive than an irritable
Japanese high school girl.
(Ayashi no Ceres episode 4)

"We Suzaku Seishi aren't smart enough to give up!"
- Tasuki, Fushigi Yuugi