Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:44:16 +0800

At 01:25 10/31/2000 +0800, Zhou Tai An wrote:
>Correct. Look at the mecha in the OYW and in War in the Pocket/8th MS Team -
>they're all using projectile weaponry.

        This is due mostly to economy, I think. Projectile weapons should be
cheaper during the OYW, since beam weapons that small were new then. In Z,
beam weapons become much more common.

>Again, true. You really know your facts, man. ^_^

        When you've lurked here long enough, you pick up things. And when
you open your mouth to talk to the bigger people around here, you better
have *some* references handly. =) Even bad references can make you look less
like an idiot.

>Another factor - you can't launch from a flight deck without a catapult.
>Ever seen what Chien and Hathaway did in CCA? Burned the flight deck down. ^_^

        Hmm -- didn't notice that. Still, if MSes were designed to launch
without catapults, the carriers would have been designed to accomodate that.

>I seem to recall some long Gundam fights going on for longer than
>that...Char's and Amuro's climatic final battle DEFINITELY lasted longer
>than half an hour.

        Difficult to say, really. Remember, Mark's data's for Z mainly. CCA
is another 5 years down the road, so technology might have gotten better.

>Well, it's original purpose was to increase the Gundam's performance
>(unstated how) because Amuro kept burning it out/operating beyond normal
>limits.

        From the novelization, it reduces friction between the drive train
and the parts in contact. Coupled with a new laser thingy in the engine, it
provided ... double or treble, can't remember clearly, the engine output.
Which shouldn't affect thrust, but still.

        Since it reduces friction, a logical extension is to paint the
joints with it, to reduce wear and speed up traverse time. But in the
novelization, Amuro was worried that the lack of friction will lead to
mechanical failure -- or something like that. Been a while since I last read it.