Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:25:23 +0800 (SGT)

> Right. At this stage, most of both Federation and Zeon MSes are
>running around with projectile weapons, not beam weaponry. A lot of GMs, for

Correct. Look at the mecha in the OYW and in War in the Pocket/8th MS Team -
they're all using projectile weaponry. (Much like the fact that Gunpods were
the standard armament for Veritechs until later.) The Gundam was the only MS
to actually be issued a beam rifle, and those were pretty scarce.

>example, were running around with 90mm, not beam guns, although the GM was
>initially designed to carry them. To be honest though, most of the
>space-capable GM are armed with beam weapons.

Again, true. You really know your facts, man. ^_^

> If their thrusters are truely that limited, then ship-based
>catapults are very important in MS combat strategies. The fuel is way too
>precious to waste on accelerating from rest.

Another factor - you can't launch from a flight deck without a catapult.
Ever seen what Chien and Hathaway did in CCA? Burned the flight deck down. ^_^

And if you're thinking of jumping off and launching from empty space, you
won't reach combat speed fast enough.

> This also probably means that the MS's effective combat time in
>space is only about 10 minutes or less.

I seem to recall some long Gundam fights going on for longer than
that...Char's and Amuro's climatic final battle DEFINITELY lasted longer
than half an hour.

>>the fact that adding magnet coating effectively increases the number of
apogee
>>motors by 50%, for purposes of computing turn time.
>
> Actually, I don't get this. Magnetic coating is supposed to reduce
>friction in the joints, correct? While this will enable the MS to position
>the apogee motors faster, a 50% increase seems a bit excessive.

Well, it's original purpose was to increase the Gundam's performance
(unstated how) because Amuro kept burning it out/operating beyond normal
limits. I suppose a 50% increase could be justified if one takes into
account just how many motors and rotors operate in the joints at one
time...however, in most Gundam games, magnetic coating does very little.

Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)