-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:37:41 -0700

You're welcome. The insight comes from 20 years in the Air Force, three and
half on the flight line. The problem with the hands led directly to the
development of side stick controls in place of the old central located joystick.
It took awhile to figure it out, because you can't debrief dead pilots and the
problem doesn't show up in simulators and is difficult, if not impossible, to
reproduce in a centrifuge. Fortunately, our early astronauts were passengers
and were able to report on the effect after living through it.

> > There's also a peculiar rumbling noise that results from the side
> of the ship
> [snipped]
>
> Incidentally, will this apply to colony cylinders? Or will the
> effect be lessened since the heavy port areas are facing in-sun?

The heating if the sunward end of the colony is directly responsible for half of
the weather pattern that develops within. It causes the air to expand and move
along the axis toward the opposite end, where it then cools and flows back
toward the sunward end along the inner walls. There's some additional heating
from the sunlight reflected in through the skylights, but that gets dissipated
somewhat by the rotation, while the sunward end is baking contiuously at about
230?C (= 450?F = 505?K = 910?R). Details of colony weather are posted at:

http://www.dyarstraights.com/msgundam/frontier.html#Weather

> >By the way, the shuttle pulls 3 G going up and 1.5 G during re-entry.
> [snipped]
>
> Only you, -Z-, could have came up with these precise numbers. I
> seriously wonder whether your computer area is taped up with facts and
> figures such as these.

While most of my Gundam books are still packed away, I make my living as a
technical writer and have three bookshelves of references right behind me,
including the Space Shuttle Operator's Manual, the Air University Space
Handbook, A House In Space (the story of Skylab), H.L. Stine's Halfway To
Anywhere and Living In Space and, of course, Gerard K. O'Neill's The High
Frontier: Human Colonies In Space.

I've also got the previously cited Microsoft Encarta Reference Suite 99 and a
24/7 Internet connection, which puts a lot of information literally at my
fingertips.

My father taught me a very valuable lesson when I was a child. Whenever I came
to him with a question, even one to which he had the answer or on a subject in
which he was an acknowledged expert, he'd say, "Let's look it up!" and then show
me how to find the answers in our Webster's dictionary or Funk & Wagnall's
encyclopedia. "It's not what you know, but what you know how to find out that's
important!"

This is the secret of my so-called "encylopedic knowledge" -- I know how to find
information and determine the answers so quickly that I appear to know them
already. It's not magic, but it can look that way to someone who doesn't know
the same tricks.

-Z-