Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:21:00 +0800

At 09:55 10/28/2000 -0700, -Z- wrote:
>Well, the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra specs on Mecha Domain give the acceleration of
>the MS, with and without booster, as 2.95 G and 3.67 G,

        I checked the Mecha Domain, and the values are consistent across
board; all the GM G figures matched my T/W, except for the Powered GM, which
was because of a change in full weight. Adjusting for this would mean the
figures all match.

>so either your derived mass ratio is coincidentally the same as the
acceleration

        Uh-uh. Not so coincidentally. Once I can accept, but for all GMs,
including the 0080 GMs, someone else had the same bright idea.

        (Hey, it's a small world. *shrug*)

        But the question is, should it be a G rating, or a simply T/W ratio?
Somehow, I don't think it is correct to equate the T/W ratio directly to the
G rating, at least not this way. After all, what I'm saying is that every KG
of this MS has a thrust of XX kg if the MS is homogeneous. It's not directly
related to the acceleration, as far as I can see.

        If what Mark Wilson said is true, and we can apply F=ma directly to
this, then F/m = T/W = a, but the ratio will be expressed in ms^-2, not in
Gs. So I think the Mecha Domain site is wrong in directly appending the G
behind the ratio.

        If so, this meant that MSes are really slow at accelerating from a
standing start, and this means ...taadaah... that MSes really need the
catapult system to get up to speed fast. (Which neatly ties in to a topic we
just finish discussing a month back. =)

>Giving an entirely new meaning to the term "guts and glory".... (-_-)

        (^_^)

>Vibration can incapacitate the pilot in a very sneaky way, but numbing or
>paralyzing the hands.

        Interesting. Never thought of that before -- thanks!

> There's also a peculiar rumbling noise that results from the side of the ship
        [snipped]

        Incidentally, will this apply to colony cylinders? Or will the
effect be lessened since the heavy port areas are facing in-sun?

>By the way, the shuttle pulls 3 G going up and 1.5 G during re-entry.
        [snipped]

        Only you, -Z-, could have came up with these precise numbers. I
seriously wonder whether your computer area is taped up with facts and
figures such as these.

        (^_^)