garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:53:46 -0700 (PDT)

err...i paint exclusively with citadel paints, as i
work on warhammer more than gundam.

get a good paint thickness and try crosshatching.
paint the first layer up-down, and the next layer
left-right (karate kid style :P). i tally up to about
4 or 5 layers of crosshatching. while it won't ever
be as fine and evenly layered as sprayed on paint,
with some practice you'll achieve a degree of evenness
that comes across just as good as a spray-painted
model.

i also always spray my kits with primer. be it
citadel's uberexpensive primer (black, of course), or
gunze-sangyo's mr. color lacquer spray. i can't go
back to painting unprimed kits anymore. :P

check your brushes too. screw the cheapie fabricated
nylon brushes (they leave streaks and sometimes get
strands stuck on your painted surface :). it's
worthwhile to invest in the more expensive sable
(synthetic sable is a very adequate substitute, i've
found) brushes.

> I was able to get a good finish from brushpainting
> when using Citadel Color,
> the paint they use for Warhammer 40K. dunno if it's
> available in the US,
> but when the paint is semi-dry, I lightly brush it
> with water so the finish
> would even out.

char, the citadel paints are water soluble and can be
thinned down with water before being applied. i think
that would save you a lot of hassle. :P

> with Tamiya paints, I have a hard time coz they dry
> out so easily. maybe I
> need to add more thinner or something. I haven't
> used much Mr. Color since
> the supply isn't that good in the Philippines.

whatcha talking about? there's lots in Special Toys
Center. they run out of stock pretty fast, but they
also restock within a week or two.

-garr