Peter Savin (pedro@shiporama.org)
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:43:37 -0700

>I leave ugly streaks and it doesn't look one bit smooth. I know its damn
>near impossible to get an airbrush like finish but I just want to do it as
>well as possible.

First, I should say that I don't do much brush painting, I'm not
particularly good at it either. The most important thing is to minimize the
brush strokes as much as you can. Make sure you have plenty of paint on the
brush, and cover the area in a single stroke, try not to overlap strokes.
If you need to do a second coat, wait until the paint is completely dry, and
paint in a different direction, make your strokes go across the first ones.
You also need your paint to be the right thickness, to thick and it will
build up, and leave marks, too thin and you'll have to do too many coats,
which means too many strokes. You might also want to experiment with
different paints. For my taste, the testors acrylic paints work best for
brush painting (I was really surprised at how well they smooth out).

As to the gloss/flat thing, I actually prefer semi-gloss for my kits. I
like the shiny 'hobby japan' look. It's harder to get gloss paints to brush
on well, though. Scale is also an issue, the bigger the model, the more
gloss you can get away with while avoiding the toy look.

Peter Savin
bawoo@shiporama.org