Mond (mond1969@mediaone.net)
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:11:49 -0700

Thanks for the complement :)

The models I plan on paint are a Gundam MK-mk 2, Nu Gundam and a Sazabi

Th Sanzabi is simple Red :) though what shade of red I have not decided

The MK 2 I beleive it is a lt blue, White and Yellow

And the Nu gundam seems to me to be Black, White and yellow?

I kinda of would like to paint them in the respective colors only because
they are kind of cool in those colors So if anyone can give me an Idea of
what shades that would be cool I also plan of using Flat to Matt paint
depending on how it looks

"I use Micron Pigma 005 pens and drafting pencils depending on how obnoxious
the lines need to be"
Are these available at hobby stores or a specialty store?

Thanks

Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of Mark Wilson
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 11:20 AM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: RE: [gundam] Painting the light fantastic :)

I appreciate your anal-retentiveness;)

BUT:
Are you going to paint the entire model, or just match the color of the
Bandai plastic?

If you are going to paint the entire model, I wouldn't get too hung up on
the "official" color scheme. What makes you think the folks at Bandai can
guess an animated color better than you? Put another way, the color of an
animated object depends on so many variables that it is impossible to define
a specific "correct" color. In 08 MST, for example, the R-79(G) is either
white, light beige or aircraft grey depending upon the episode (and this is
nder simlar lighting conditions). No matter how you slice it, the
Deathsycthe Hell is basically all black--not the multiple blue-black tones
that Bandai shows in the instructions for the arms and torso.

In addition, you can't animate metallic colors--are the V fins in MSG yellow
or gold? What about in Wing? And are the animated grey weapons (such as
the Altron trident or Deathscythe scythe) actually grey, or should they be
metallic?

The main suggestion I would make is just match the scheme. If you are doing
a muted, gritty mech scheme, then don't mix bright tones with muted (usually
daker) tones. An Rx-78 looks right with bright show colors; a RX-79(G)
would look silly in the brightest colors.

Paint markers--paint markers are the model equivalent of painting a Porsche
with a bush. The only Gundam markers that are going to give you excellent
results are the super fine panel line markers (I use Micron Pigma 005 pens
and drafting pencils depending on how obnoxious the lines need to be). if
you want decent paint results you should probably get comfortable with
spraycans or an airbrush--hand brushing is very difficult to do and have it
look good.