-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:28:37 -0700

Nice to hear from you again, Sunwook! And, as usual, you have all the
references ready to hand that I've had to pack away. I knew there were more of
these, but couldn't remember them offhand and couldn't lay hands on my Model
Graphix Specials (Project Z, Mission ZZ & Gundam Sentinel).

> Gamma: RMS/MSA-099 Rick Dias. Named for the fact that its outer shell
> was made with Gundarium Gamma composite. [ZG]

The Greek letter Gamma is used quite a bit in science and technology. It's used
as a measure of the degree of contrast of a video image, a unit of magnetic flux
density (equal to one nanotesla), the third of three or more closely related
chemicals (as in gamma globulin), a high energy photon (gamma ray), and to
represent surface tension.

> Delta: MSN-00100 Hyakushiki/Type 100. The testbed for Zeta Gundam and
> famous for its legendary pilot, Char 'the Red Comet' Aznable, a.k.a.
> Quattro Bazina. [ZG]

Delta is, of course, used to represent the change in a value (as in delta-V).
In mathematics, this is generally an increment in a variable or the operation of
finding the difference between two nearby values of a variable *as y) or a
function (as f) for two values of its independent variable (as x) differing by a
small non-zero amount. An electron ejected by an ionizing particle as it passes
through matter is called a delta ray.

> Epsilon: Epsy Gundam (no registry given). In fact, it was the recycle
> design based on Mamoru Nagano's proposal for Zeta Gundam.

Epsilon is used in mathematics to represent an arbitrary small quantity used for
analysis. It's also used in set theory to represent an element of a set or,
with a slash, not an element of a set. It may also be used in formulae to
represent the natural logarithm of 2 (2.7182818+) or the eccentricity of a conic
section. In physics, it represents permittivity, the ability of a dielectric to
store electrical potential, also called the dialectric constant.

> Zeta: MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam. [ZG]

In physics, Zeta is used to represent impedence.

> Eta: MSZ-007 Zeta Rapire-I. Exclusive design by Masahiro Oda.

Hmmm, I think that's supposed to be "Rapier" (as in a sword).

In physics, Eta represents efficiency or viscosity.

The lowercase Eta is an inverted lowercase Mu.

> Theta: MSZ-010 Double Zeta Gundam. [GZZ]

In medicine, Theta is used to represent a relatively high amplitude brain wave
pattern between 4 and 9 Hertz.

Theta is also used as a symbol for death, being the first letter of the Greek
word Thanatos.

> Iota: MSA-0011 Superior Gundam [GUNDAM SENTINEL]

The word Iota has come to mean an infintiesimal amount. In mathematics, Iota
represents the positive square root of minus one, an imaginary number that
results from exceeding the value of C (speed of light constant) in Einstein's
relativistic equations.

> Kappa: MSA-014 Sigma Gundam. No visual design given.
> (Note that it has nothing to do with Hobby Japan's exclusive mobile suit
> also named Sigma Gundam.)

I don't think the Kappa gets used at all in scientific notation, although it
seems to be popular in college Greek societies, such as Phi Beta Kappa.

> Lambda: MSA-0012 Lambda Gundam. No visual design given.

On mathematics, Lambda is used to represent an null or empty set (uppercase).
In physics, Lambda is used to represent frequency, half-life, or an uncharged,
unstable elementary particle with a mass 2,183 times that of an electron, which
typically decays into a nucleon and a pion.

Lambda has become associated with Gay Pride, but I have no idea why.

> Mu: RX-90 Mu Gundam. No visual design given.

Ah, so there was a Mu Gundam after all? Something between a Zeta and a ReGZ,
going by the model number.

> Nu: RX-93 Nu Gundam. [CCA]
>
> And here's one more Kadokawa-exclusive 'Greek Gundam'-
> Xi: RX-105 Xi Gundam [Hathaway's Flash]

In mathematics, the Chi-square is used to represent a statistical distribution
that shows the difference between the observed and theoretical values of a
quantity and about population variances and standard deviations,

> And about the Hobby Japan exclusive Sigma Gundam-
> It made its first appearance in Hobby Japan special : Mobile Suit Gundam
> ZZ - Mobile Suit In Action(1986). Designed & built by the modeler named
> Yukio Ageta. It can be separated into the two independent aircrafts and
> then merged into the huge fighter such as ZZ Gundam's G-Fortress mode.
> And in 1999, Mr. Ageta remade his own exclusive Gundam for Hobby Japan's
> Gundam Weapons : MG ZZ Gundam Special Issue, under the name of Double
> Sigma Gundam! ;-) In this book, the original Sigma Gundam was given the
> registry number MSK-009 (for its Karaba origin) and Double Sigma Gundam
> was identified as MSA-0XX.

In mathematics, Sigma is used to represent standard deviation of a population
(lowercase) and sum or summation (uppercase). In engineering, it represents any
degree of deviation from the norm. In physics, a lowercase Sigma represents
conductivity, cross section, or surface tension.

> And as the side notes, I recently photocopied the entire booklet from
> Zeta Gundam Memorial Box parts 1 & 2, and found some interesting material
> therein: Tomino's original idea and series proposal for Zeta Gundam TV
> series. Ironically, one of the said proposals was given the working title
> 'Mobile Suit ALPHA Gundam'(!)... :->

Well, at least they didn't jump all the way to Omega Gundam....

-Z-