Daniel Beckham (danbeck@dealnews.com)
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:11:50 -0500

I have to say, the quality compared to the actual models themselves or the
MSiA's is pretty low, but compared to other toys on the American market,
these things are Picasso's. American massmarket toys tend to be complete
garbage. You can find some nice stuff in hobby shops or comic shops from
companies like McFarlane toys, etc, but stuff that intended to be sold at
Toys R Us or the local Target/Walmart are always low quality. *sigh* I
remember the day when Transformers ruled the roost. Now those were some
quality toys, at least for that decade.

Like you, I made short work of my action figures with a black and gray
gundam marker and they really improve when the panel lines are more visible.
I have three sitting here at my desk at work, (Shenlong, Deathcythe and
Heavyarms) and one at home. (Epyon) I've only scribed the panel lines on
the Shenlong and Epyon so far, but the differences side by side are huge. A
couple of co-workers even commented on how much better they looked with the
panel lines scribed.

IMHO, the action figures and MSiA's are targeted at two completely different
audiences. Action figures are to sit on Wal-Mart shelves, waiting for
children to beg their parents for one of the action figures since it's the
next big thing from Japan. The MSiA's are made to sit on a shelf at a hobby
shop with a ridiculous price tag tacked onto it so that it can be bought and
traded with Pokemon hysteria. Cynicism? Maybe. It's tough to see a local
store buy something at 50% of the MSRP and then sell it for 150%+ of the
MSRP even if the market in the area doesn't warrant that price.

heh, that reminds me of something I saw a few weeks earlier. There was this
kid, maybe 13 or so in the Wal-Mart with his younger siblings/cousins and
they were all picking out GW action figures that their mother/aunt was going
to buy. The 13 year old was enthusiastically explaining to them exactly how
to pick them so that none of the blisters or cards had any defects etc. I
tell you what.. my daughter and other future children are sure going to know
the best way to rip those toys out of the package to play with them. I'm 26
now and don't really have a need to "play" with toys, so most that I buy
stay in the packages, but I can't imagine never opening my new transformer
so long ago. That's why you can't find any of these things in stores...
toddlers are now becoming toy collectors and wholesale Wal-Mart purchasers.

Daniel