Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
20 Oct 2000 01:13:10 -0000

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:34:37 EDT Diglettdig@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/19/00 6:28:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Sedusa66@aol.com writes:
>
><< ...Yikes. Rei is definitely NOT a good role model.... Everyone has
> problems they need to work out (ala Shinji, but usually not quite so bad :)
> but Rei is almost entirely without an ego. I'm sorry, but someone who
>places
> no value on their own life is much worse than someone who is merely afraid.
> >>

>not that anyone else valued her life either, seeing how <spoiler>

>there were quite a number of Ayanami Rei(s).
>And not everybody had problems, PenPen was the vision of
>carefree-ness...lol...
>
>--bob

I'd say it was more of a factor of her knowing and accepting her role in life. Something not many of us have a clue about, especially at her age. Plus, how would you react if you knew that if you were killed, you'd in essence come right back?

As for the other characters, Kaji wasn't too bad in the problems department. Nor was what's his name (the one that worked at Nerv HQ, wore glasses and had a crush on Misato?). But I'll admit the primary characters all had problems. But I could identify with alot of them (yes, I've had a somewhat screwed up life in some ways).

And, as seen in EoE...(even more spoiler space)

Not every copy of Rei felt the same way about everything....

Roland (what can I say? Evangelion is one of my favorite anime series...)