Franz Co (ms_slasher@mail.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:22:34 -0400 (EDT)

So next time someone flames, I think that we should all make an effort to
IGNORE unless we actually have something informative to say by answering
back.

You guys have to realize something. Just because someone trolls for flames
doesn't mean you're compelled to oblige. Would you be forced into a
screaming
match if you all were in the same room at a party? Or would you just give
one
of those "ya, just go away, jackass" looks and keep talking with your
friends
about something else? Seriously, I see too often here and on other lists
people going nuts for each other's throats and forgetting the reason the
conversation started in the first place. If you are going to respond, the
best
way to kill a flame war is to simply answer each question, with civil words,
that is put forth. Methodically correct any bullshit thrown in and just
don't
rise to the bait. Works every time. Takes some effort sometimes but who
cares
if the person calls you names or types in all capitals? That doesn't make
his
errors any less glaring. Too many people fall for the "But he called me an
idiot, I *have* to tell him to fuck off now!" attack which usually means
that
the person ran out of reasonable points in the discussion already so *then*
is
the best time to drive your position home. It will only frustrate him worse
that he's wasting time being belligerent while you're ignoring him and
cutting
down his argument at the same time.

Alfred.

--
"You know what Jonathan?  You should go down to Home Depot and get some
wood and stuff and come as a giant pipe for Halloween.  Get it?  Pipe?

- Christine Lo, trying to get murdered by Johnny Pipe

______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup