Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:03:42 GMT

>> And that brings me back on topic: We know the Jedi use a sort of
>> preternatural sensing ability. I know the Newtypes have a version of this

>> also. What are the differences...?
>There aren't any, really. In both cases, it's a case of the character in
>question being able to look a few seconds into the future and thus anticipate

>the opponent's next move even as it's being executed. This allows you to shoot

>where the enemy is going to be or move to block a strike at the same time it's

>made.

hmmm...This particular ability seems to be one of Char's. i always remember
him as being able to dodge all those shots -- except when it came to Amuro,
who in turn seems to have a "one with the machine" ability.

>In For The Barrel, which is supposedly based on Tomino's writings, this ability

>is called "forecast" and is one of "The Nine" characteristics that comprise
the
>Newtype.

hey Z, can we get a rundown on what those ine abilities are, and who manifested
which ability the strongest?

>Interestingly, this idea hasn't been used all that much in the past, but it

>predates Gundam by a good decade and a half. I first read of it in the 1966

>Modesty Blaise novel "I, Lucifer" by Peter O'Donnell, based on his popular
comic
>strip. Modesty, an accomplished martial artist, is beaten by Lucifer, a
>psychic, because he can anticipate her every move and counter it exactly.
(She
>later wins by getting him to consciously try to anticipate her, instead of
just
>letting it happen, thus negating his psychic ability, which works
>subconsciously.)

This seems to be also a samurai trait, something that I've also seen in stuff
like Rurouni Kenshin, albeit with somewhat different mechsanics (re: Soujiro
vs. Kenshin).

>An interesting variation is the "temporal fugue" used in Roger Zelazny's
>Creatures Of Light And Darkness. Here, the characters actually jump a few

>seconds into the future or the past, seeming to disappear at some moments and

>double team or triple team the opponent at others.
>-Z-

I've seen this done in a blatant manner with the Madox of the marvel mutants...

flashlight.

www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486, DL (632)4485473 / fax: (632) 4167479
cel: 0917-4024780 / hse: (632) 7231308 (emergency use)
ICQ#: 12914919

I am NOT a starving writer.