Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:01:09 -0700

--

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:50:43 BlazeEagle wrote: > Otaku is not a word to be used lightly and it's not a word to be too proud >of. It's been awhile since I read this, but otaku are the most obsessive fans >there is and they usually hardly ever have much social life/interaction.

Absolutely correct! Have any of you seen Gainax's Otaku no Video? That answers everything. Obsession is common to everybody (IMO), but we have to realize that there is life not in Anime (or work or sports or any endeavor for that matter). Otaku are people who devote everything to Anime. That is wrong. Anime is part of life not life in itself. I think the original message is not of being a true OTAKU in the sense, but being a devoted fan of a show and there's nothing wrong with that. But its good that we understand the true meaning of Otaku, so we dont use it out of context making us look like a bunch of idiots speaking Nihonggo w/o the slightest idea of what the words actually mean (IMO)

Abet

10% cash back on all your calls through 2000 at Lycos Communications at http://comm.lycos.com