Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:21:51 +0800

> We need to take off the rose-colored glasses when we look at the past.
>There have ALWAYS been crappy shows, and there have ALWAYS been gratuitous
>attempts to make big bucks off those shows. No matter how nostalgic we may
>be about 70s Super Robots, the fact remains that toy companies were giving
>creators their marching orders. In the 80s it was just the same, with
>modelmakers instead of toymakers.

The miracle, really, was that they came out with decent storylines for some!

> Conversely, not everything modern is crap, and marketing does not, in and
>of itself, make something crap. People complaining about modern mecha
>shows conveniently ignore things like Eva, Escaflowne, Nadesico, Brain
>Powerd (haven't seen all of this but it's very interesting so far).

That's true. marketing used correctly will fine tune a product even more
to its market...but compromise is the name of the game mostly.

>Transformers was originally written off as nothing more than an attempt to
>flog toys to kids, yet is now regarded as a classic show.
> Post WW2, elitists wrote off all mainstream movies as crap.
> In the 60s, elitists wrote off all mainstream movies since sound was
>introduced as crap.
> In the 70s, elitists wrote off all mainstream movies since Hollywood's
>golden age as crap.
> Nowadays, elitists are writing off all mainstream movies since Star Wars
>as crap.
> And if you wanna talk cheesiness and cool-but-empty eye candy in Gundam,
>havent you neglected to mention a couple of pre-Wing series? "Gundam ZZ"
>and "Gundam 0083".
>Andrew Dynon

Hmmm, since I haven't seen ZZ in its entirety, I dunno what to say on that,
but with 0083, I think that it had the potential to be really great, until
all the loose ends became glaring ly obvious, not the least of which was
the fact that such MS's were overpowered for their time.

flashlight.

url: www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486
fax: (632) 4167479