Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:45:07 -0700

> You also forgot to add that the reason for SRW's popularity is because
>people love the anime. People here has barely even heard of the robots and
>characters in the game, let alone watch it...

Oh yeah, it's a given.

> I believe it's no the "official" report, but everybody knows that it's
>HG that mess up the whole thing. I believe they heard about it after Bandai
>ran the ads, and see people interested, so they want a piece of the pie. You
>don't Bandai would be "generous" enough to pay somebody when they own the
>rights (I believe Bandai own the toys' right for Macross, which includes
>video games, I believe).

They might have acquired the rights from Big West (the DYRL movie was
basically what gave them enough leverage), but I am pretty sure whatever
rights Bandai has is limited to Japan and the Asia region.

> It's also the reason why you never see Macross 7 here - they were asking
>a lot for US companies to release here, yet they have no plans to release
>Macross 7 themselves. And besides, if Macross does belong to HG outside of
>Japan, why do you think it was release in places like Hong Kong too? I don't
>see their name being mentioned in the copyright section...

IIRC Macross was shown on TV in most Asian countries before it became
part of Robotech. Not to mention copyright in HK is basicaly an oxymoron...

> No, from what I read, when they brought the rights, the Japanese
>copyright holder (probably Bandai/Emotion) let HG talk them into selling
>basically the "naming right" - anything with the name "Macross - Dimensional
>Fortress" would belong to HG, at least in the US. So any show based on the
>original Macross, or toys bearing that name or from that series, they need
>to get HG's permission. And with their attitude, most people stay clear of
>HG, even if they know the product will sell. I am sure they are banging
>themselves on the head now because they CANNOT release anything Macross
>related to the US without paying them, and with the way HG is charging
>people, unless you are willing to pay an arm and leg for it, you just won't
>get the right. It's companies like HG, along with Viz (who is basically
>stealing money from kids with Pokemon and killing Maison Ikkou with it
>release schedule, yet refuse to let other companies take it without costing
>a fortune) that really disappoint me in terms of business in the US...

Ugh, I hate Viz. Putting them in the same league with HG is rather
appropriate. I can attest to the fact that they steal money from kids,
as they never refunded my unfulfilled subscription to their ill-fated
Game On! USA magazine even after I called their SF headquarters and was
on hold for a friggin' hour several years ago.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0