Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:51:18 -0700

> The chance of Super Robot War appear in English is so low that I
>probably would be the President before it happens ^_^

Actually, I would have said the same thing, but for different reasons -
these kinds of games are like RPGs, which are considered by US game
companies as passe/limited market potential losers. Without Square,
this category of games would have been extinct by now. Even import
specialty stores are beginning to shy away from these games.

> Reason:
>1) The copyright issue is a mess. Do you know how many different companies
>hold the different rights in the US? Harmony Gold is the best example - it's
>so greedy it won't let anybody using the Macross series without paying tons
>of money for it, so do you think any gaming companies are willing to do it?
>I heard the Macross game was supposed to be release for PS in the US, but
>Harmony Gold basically stop the whole thing with a demand for money.

You mean the VFX2 Digital Mission sequel? I was pissed when I saw the ad
Bandai ran in US magazines, but now am glad that I bought the Japanese
original in the first place.

>Since
>they "legally" hold the Macross right in the US,

Hmm, I thought they owned it for all area outside of Japan. That was
one reason why Macross wasn't exploited as much as Gundam, because all
involved knew that HG would be reaping the rewards from their hard work
only because they were stupid enough to sign away so much of their rights
back then.

>NOTHING with the name of
>Macross can be released in the US without giving them anything.

Actually I think it's more like any graphical elements that resembles what
was seem in Robotech, including the UNT Spacy symbol (which was the ONE
thing preventing the Toycom Macross Plus toys from coming out... they should
just put it out without the stupid logo and let some enterprising third
party sell aftermarket decals at their own risk). After all, HG's show was
called Robotech, not Macross, and I don't think they really hold any sequel
rights even though it's kind of a grey area there.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0