Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 06:19:26 +0800

>Personally, I feel Bandai's attempt to "save" Gundam series is nothing more
>than an execuse to expand its influence into every part of the world. After
>the Wing series became popular in the last few years, I have no doubt that
>the number of Gundam fans world-wide had increased three folds! While we
>have some new Wing kits to play with (only average mecha design), the prices
>of Gundam model kits have increased rapidly. (bad news for modelers!)

uhm...that we have polycapped kits with somewhat average colors and snap-on
technology, not to mention some pretty innovative stuff like translucent
parts isn't worth the price of the kit? I remember glue kits, ad that's
why I do not complain about the new kits. You want to see a real waste,
take a look at the 1/144 GP02a. otherwise, the kits coming out are pretty
damn good, all things considered.

>But the worst consequence of the Wing series would be on the future Gundam
>series. I just have this feeling that Bandai/Sunrise will come out with more
>series with stories and character design targeting young and immature
>viewers.(bad news for mature Gundam fans!) From what I see in the upcoming
>"For the Barrel" character design, the style is quite similar to Wing.
>(tall, skinny pretty kids, uggh!)

imaigne how the purists of superrobots looked at gundam back then
(realistic robots! UGH!). I hope we don't become like that. And what
about mature? i like Ghibli stuff, I like mature stuff, but I don't mind
something senseless like Falme of Recca or Fatal Fury every now and then...

>As a true UC Gundam fan, I pray that Bandai stops continue this "Wing" trend
>any further. Otherwise it will lose a lot of royal Gundam fans like many
>here in the GML.

or gain more. it depends on how you look at it. if they can triple the
number of BUYING fans out there, why shouldn't they do it? Me, I just pray
that they can balance the merhcandising by coming out with a nice show
every now and then.

>> I feel completely alienated by Bandai's/Sunrise's desperation to "save
>>Gundam" from being trampled by all those yaoi, bishounen, and strangely
>>kawaii Animes that are now flooding Japan. I mean, count the number of
>>serious Anime coming out of Japan right now?

Honestly now...anime is meant to entertain...you don't like certain stuff,
keep your peace. Taste is highly personal, and so are levels of how one
watches it.

flashlight.

url: www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486