Tue, 17 Oct 2000 00:48:27 -0700

 well mainstream is mainstream. It is a reflection of hte general tastes of the masses. Its not just gundam W, but hte whole anime world. IMHO I really dont see any good stuff anymore. The last three years have been pretty disappointing (save for Escaflowne) other than that its cute girl stuff, bishonen or Pokemon (this is just MY opinion OK) If this reflects the will of the masses then I don't see how we're gonna get some decent stuff anytime soon! Even in Videogames! Final Fantasy 8 sucked (sorry, but again...just my opinion)

--

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 01:36:30 Echo|Fox wrote: >No, I meant mainstream as in what people generally think of when they think >of anime. The sort of stuff that both gives it a bad name amongst non fans >(all anime is just pointless violence!), and the stuff thats watched heavily >by the people who don't realize/don't want to know that its really the >bottom of the barrel as far as anime goes. >Personally, and mind you this is only my opinion, I think DBZ is a big pile >of ass. I don't care that hardcore fans watch it for an underlying plot, a >show where a fight scene lasts a dozen episodes does nothing for me. If >that's what you want to watch, cool, but I watch anime to get away from >(Again, in my opinion) braindead stuff. Sorry if i'm offending anyone, but >that's just the way I look at it =) >Same for Ninja Scroll. People don't watch it because its anime, or because >its some great piece of cinematography, the watch it because its animated >deathporn, as someone in rec.arts.anime.misc put it. Boobs, violence, and a >simple plot. Again, not why I watch anime. >If this is your cup of tea, more power to you, but i'm gonna go watch >Escaflowne and be happy =) >Basically the point I was making that as much as I dislike Wing, it's >certainly a better show than these. And one last time, let me reiterate, >these are my personal opinions and I'm not bashing you for thinking >differently. Everybody has their own tastes, so please don't jump all over >me ;p > >--- >Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler >http://www.wingzero.net - Home of the High Quality Gundam Image Archive >http://www.outlawstar.org - The Unofficial Home of Outlaw Star >"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, >is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We >cause accidents." - Nathaniel Borenstein >----- Original Message ----- >From: <BlazeEagle@aol.com> >To: <gundam@aeug.org> >Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 12:19 AM >Subject: Re: [gundam] gundam w aint no gundam! > > >> In a message dated 10/17/2000 3:15:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >> juanalberto.m@lycos.com writes: >> >> << Mainstream? These days anime is mainstream, not like in the old days. >I >> guess thats why so much cheese is surfacing in the world of anime, because >> its mainstream! >> >> >> I think he meant Mainstream as in Mainstream in Japan... >> >> >> Aaron >> "Believing a sign of Zeta" >> >> - >> Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/ >> > > >- >Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/ >

10% cash back on all your calls through 2000 at Lycos Communications at http://comm.lycos.com