Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 01:36:30 -0700

No, I meant mainstream as in what people generally think of when they think
of anime. The sort of stuff that both gives it a bad name amongst non fans
(all anime is just pointless violence!), and the stuff thats watched heavily
by the people who don't realize/don't want to know that its really the
bottom of the barrel as far as anime goes.
Personally, and mind you this is only my opinion, I think DBZ is a big pile
of ass. I don't care that hardcore fans watch it for an underlying plot, a
show where a fight scene lasts a dozen episodes does nothing for me. If
that's what you want to watch, cool, but I watch anime to get away from
(Again, in my opinion) braindead stuff. Sorry if i'm offending anyone, but
that's just the way I look at it =)
Same for Ninja Scroll. People don't watch it because its anime, or because
its some great piece of cinematography, the watch it because its animated
deathporn, as someone in rec.arts.anime.misc put it. Boobs, violence, and a
simple plot. Again, not why I watch anime.
If this is your cup of tea, more power to you, but i'm gonna go watch
Escaflowne and be happy =)
Basically the point I was making that as much as I dislike Wing, it's
certainly a better show than these. And one last time, let me reiterate,
these are my personal opinions and I'm not bashing you for thinking
differently. Everybody has their own tastes, so please don't jump all over
me ;p

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler