Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:16:25 +0800

>IMHO, I think that Gundam Wing's overall feel was crappily done; mecha,
>story, characters and so forth were done in a highly unrealistic sensation.
> Gundam for a fact involves a lot of realism, and when you take the depth
>and realism away from Gundam you practically destroy the essence of Gundam.

The essence of gundam is marketing. What bandai says, goes. anything else
is icing on the cake.

> I think that a lot of UC-ers feel the same way about this for Gundam Wing
>and other related universes/franchises. It's pure fact that Gundam Wing
>was made to gain support from those bishounen and yaoi freaks all over the
>world, and when you bring that into Gundam; the very people who got into
>Gundam to avoid those types of crowds are now stuck with those types of
>crowds due to the introduction of existing non UC universes. I have to say

Ahem. I am one of those bishonen and yaoi freaks, and I also appreciate UC
gundam; in fact, I love UC gundam. please be more careful with your words.

>that before Gundam Wing came out, Gundam was THE most sacred Anime in the
>entire history of Anime aside from the those Animes which have ended so
>faithfully. Gundam is the only one which has proceeded smoothly with a
>still loyal fanbase and a pure and consistent universe. Then when you
>enter Gundam Wing into the roster, things tend to flip and change towards a
>preference where the loyal and already existing fans don't like at all. I
>don't speak for all UC-er's, but a lot of them feel this way; including me.
> I feel completely alienated by Bandai's/Sunrise's desperation to "save
>Gundam" from being trampled by all those yaoi, bishounen, and strangely
>kawaii Animes that are now flooding Japan. I mean, count the number of
>serious Anime coming out of Japan right now? I can sure as hell can tell
>you that there are a limited number of serious Animes coming out, and
>Gundam is now a dying breed of the classic Anime that a good deal of us on
>the GML have grown up with.

I think perhaps one should realize that it all goes with the trends. back
then, the trend was for realism, now it's for this. as long as the message
of the writers still come through all the marketing tricks, then I like the
cartoon. I mean, we have to be realistic here; bandai IS out to make a
buck. if the writers can accomodate that and still come out with a halfway
decent storyline, then I am impressed.

>Orange Road, Gundam, Gallforce, Bubble Gum Crisis, Macross, these are the
>things we grew up with. And trends are changing unfortunately to something
>we probably won't enjoy as much as the classics. What I find disturbing
>and is pretty evident, is that most Anime coming out is falling to the
>trend of flashiness and utter nonsense of improperly rehashed comedy from
>the classics which established Anime as the top most versatile genre of
>story telling in animation today. Face it, we've all been touched by Anime
>one way or another; good or bad, like it or not, Anime is here and it will
>continue to spread till it influences all cultures in the world if it
>hasn't already.

Well, just be a bit more open-minded. to become stuck in an ivory tower is
not good either. there are gems out there, like the Gatchaman remake, or
the Shin Getta remake, or stuff like Escaflowne. It's just seeing through
all the flash, like Gasaraki and Nadesico.

>The old schoolers who have grown up and freakishly pay attention to detail
>are those who complain and dislike the non UC universes. The sloppiness in
>consistency, the flashy and dull characters, the irritatingly "just cool"
>mecha, blah blah blah...UC fans know the list.
>
>The point is...Gundam by standard is no longer the Gundam which we love and
>know. When Bandai/Sunrise took that essence (whatever that may be is for
>you to decide) away, we lost a great part of ourselves and Gundam itself.
>In Japan, Gundam is a household name. Imagine if you took away Gundam from
>history; what would it be like without it? Imagine if you suddenly took
>away (not ended) Gundam from Japan and the rest of the world? What would
>you feel like? How would you feel? Would you be pissed? Angry? Sad?
>Irritated? Well, if you guessed all of the above, that's exactly how us
>UC-ers feel about the whole situation.
>
>>I think those saying non-UC Gundam series are not Gundams are as boneheaded
>>as those who think that Gundam Wing is the only Gundam series

>-

flashlight.

url: www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486