Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:38:36 -0700

I'm just goint to throw my 2 cents in. I'm guilty of bashing Wing. A lot. I
really don't like it all that much, but i'll go into that a bit more in a
second.
I watched 0083 first and was totally into it. One of the first anime series
I watched and it really blew me away. Watched 0080 shortly after and I just
didn't get it at the time. I had no concept of what Gundam was so I couldn't
appreciate it. Then I watched Wing and was all of it. Color me north
american Wing fans right now. However, I was given the opportunity to watch
a lot of UC Gundam after that, and for that I'm really thankful. I then
realized how much cooler (IMHO, anyway), UC stuff was, and I became the
diehard UC'er I am today. Basically the more UC I saw, the less I liked
Wing, and to a lesser extent, 0083, because they lack much of what it was I
liked about Gundam, once I got past the action and such.
As easy as it is sometimes, we shouldn't try and bash Wing kiddies so much
... they don't know any better. If they're given the same opportunities
we've been given to enjoy UC and then they're still blinded by Wing's flash,
bash away (j/k ;p), but it's really all they know.
And realistically ... as much as I dislike it, Wing is _still_ better than
DBZ, ninja scroll, and much of the other more "mainstream" anime. Hope I
don't offend anyone, but when I run into people babbling about how much they
love Japanimation, and they watch DBZ 3 hours a day and they've seen Ninja
scroll 30 times .... shudder ... =)
So yes UC'ers may not like Wing, and we're justified in that dislike because
we've seen both and compared. Bitching at Wing kiddies is just wrong,
because they _haven't_ seen UC.
There, my contribution ;p

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler