Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:12:22 -0700

 Uhmm.. OK. Wing is Wing and UC is UC, but both are Gundam. OK. The question now remains, given that the old themes don't sell as much as the Wing-type stories, does that mean that we will probably never see stories like the UC Gundams anymore? This is sad...

--

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:48:11 Char Aznable wrote: > >On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:29:53 -0700 (PDT), gundam@aeug.org wrote: > >> i'm a wing fan, i got into the originals, i feel wing >> is just as much gundam as the gundam movies, okay, it >> is aimed kinda differntly, but also it was made as a >> dying attempt to save gundam, and it worked for a >> while, so nobady bad-mouth gundam > >I agree. most of the Gundam releases in the past decade are alternative >universe Gundams. why? first, in UC nothing outside of 0078-0093 really >sells. they've added so much within that 15 year period, from the regular >TV series, to movies, to OAVs, to side-stories, there's so much story told >for such a short period of time, its like they have told every possible >story for every day of that 15 year period! (okay, don't take it that >literally, but really, what else could they put into that box?) > >the time G Gundam came out, the hottest thing in the market was Street >Fighter, and a lot of Street Fighter clones. no one is really interested in >a story that's very traditional Gundam (again, don't take this to literally, >of course there are still fans, its just that big companies want to sell >things to the most number of people, so you have to follow the trends and >not rely on just your few loyal followers.) so they come up with a robot >series that's rooted in the Street Fighter series. and I have to say they >did a good job. > >with Wing, they tried to re-introduce the series. they also made it appeal >to more people so they would get to know the series. in UC the robots were >more like sophisticated war machines, in GWing they were like metallic >superheroes. they were unbeatable by most opponents and they displayed >unrealistic characteristics while UC tried to make it as "in the future >there will be real technology that can do this." let us not condemn Wing >because most people these past few years have started getting into Gundam >because of Wing. although I know if you've been a long time Gundam fan >you'd feel short changed by Wing and think, "hey, can't they come up with >something new anymore?" > >my stand on it, I really don't like the story but I love the mecha, >especially the Endless Waltz ones, very original > > > > > >_______________________________________________________ >Say Bye to Slow Internet! >http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html > > >- >Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/ >

10% cash back on all your calls through 2000 at Lycos Communications at http://comm.lycos.com