Char Aznable (charaznable@excite.com)
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:29:53 -0700 (PDT), gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> i'm a wing fan, i got into the originals, i feel wing
> is just as much gundam as the gundam movies, okay, it
> is aimed kinda differntly, but also it was made as a
> dying attempt to save gundam, and it worked for a
> while, so nobady bad-mouth gundam

I agree. most of the Gundam releases in the past decade are alternative
universe Gundams. why? first, in UC nothing outside of 0078-0093 really
sells. they've added so much within that 15 year period, from the regular
TV series, to movies, to OAVs, to side-stories, there's so much story told
for such a short period of time, its like they have told every possible
story for every day of that 15 year period! (okay, don't take it that
literally, but really, what else could they put into that box?)

the time G Gundam came out, the hottest thing in the market was Street
Fighter, and a lot of Street Fighter clones. no one is really interested in
a story that's very traditional Gundam (again, don't take this to literally,
of course there are still fans, its just that big companies want to sell
things to the most number of people, so you have to follow the trends and
not rely on just your few loyal followers.) so they come up with a robot
series that's rooted in the Street Fighter series. and I have to say they
did a good job.

with Wing, they tried to re-introduce the series. they also made it appeal
to more people so they would get to know the series. in UC the robots were
more like sophisticated war machines, in GWing they were like metallic
superheroes. they were unbeatable by most opponents and they displayed
unrealistic characteristics while UC tried to make it as "in the future
there will be real technology that can do this." let us not condemn Wing
because most people these past few years have started getting into Gundam
because of Wing. although I know if you've been a long time Gundam fan
you'd feel short changed by Wing and think, "hey, can't they come up with
something new anymore?"

my stand on it, I really don't like the story but I love the mecha,
especially the Endless Waltz ones, very original