Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
17 Oct 2000 01:44:44 -0000

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:21:42 -0400 (EDT) Franz Co <ms_slasher@mail.com> wrote:
> [...]

IMHO, Wing just took too much story and tried to condense it into too little time. I've watched the series through like 5 or times through now, and I'm still not all that impressed with it, especially when compared to UC Gundam, or even what I have seen of Gundam X. Like many have said before, Wing takes the first century of UC Gundam and compresses it down into a single series. By doing this, they don't really have the time to develop the story as much as it was done in the original UC.

The feeling I come away with is akin to a movie version of a television series. IE, trying to do too much, too fast and not doing anything all that well. The only anime movie that I have seen that has done this well was "Macross, Do You Remember Love?". Others just don't seem to have succeeded as well (although I'll admit, I haven't seen too many series/movies compilations from both sides yet).

I'm sorry, but without the development over a long period of time that you see in UC, the characters in Wing just aren't all that impressive to me. They just seem to bounce from one belief to another with hardly any time for them to have really changed their views. That combined with personalities that I couldn't really get into except in a couple of cases, just makes this series go down in my opinion. Of course, hearing about some of the origins of the G boys from the Episode Zero manga helped some, but still....

I guess that is why I've decided not to buy the Wing DVDs.

Roland