lemontea@earthlink.net
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 07:02:31 -0700

Lim Jyue wrote:

> At 01:13 10/14/2000 -0400, Chris Maier wrote:
> >Appearence work movement fighter. Now that's a weird name. Is this the
> >literal Japanese translation?(It sounds a little closer to Mobile soldier
> >Gundam) Anybody know?
>
> More accurately, Kidou Senshi (I believe this is the actual
> pronoucation) has a Kanji that roughly translate to "Mechanical Warrior".
> Given that a single Japanese prounciation can result in several Kanji -- it
> all depends on context, and not all words are common -- this means that your
> choice of which kanji to input can affect your output.
>
> When I tried to use your "Appearence Work Movement Fighter" to
> reverse the translation, I had a real good laugh. =)

  Using the correct kanji, the translation is as follows;
[kidou] means "mobility", but can also mean "maneuverability".
[senshi] means "warrior" or "soldier".
[kidou senshi] would best be translated as "mobile warrior", but I
personally think "Mobile Soldier" sounds much better (actually, this is
what I titled my self-published home-brewed series of Gundam games I've
been making since 1989). I don't know where the word "appearance" would
come in.
  Just so you know, my wife is Japanese, and a scholar (and I'm not so
dull myself), so you can be very sure about this translation.

        Trevor in California