-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:31:57 -0700

More to the point, it's the title of a French song recorded on 9 October 1946 by
Edith Piaf that has become almost synonymous with French romanticism. You've
probably heard it a thousand times and never known it, because it's used in the
background of films from the 1940s to the 1960s to characterize France in
general and Paris in particular. It's often associated with World War II, even
though it wasn't recorded until after the War, because Edith Piaf was popular
throughout the 1930s and 1940s. Her song "Tu Es Partout" (recorded 25 November
1942) is featured in the movie SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

You'll find an MP3 of a recording by Edith Piaf, then chanteuse who made it
famous, at:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Palais/8910/lavieenrose.mp3

You'll find the original French lyrics at:
http://www.piaf.com/eplyr002.html

You'll find the retrofitted English lyrics and a tacky MIDI instrumental version
at:
http://www.smickandsmodoo.com/lyrics/lavie.htm

In any case, it was Tomino who came up with the name and he has a reputation for
using foreign words and phrases solely for their exotic sound, not for any
meaning they may have.

The writers of 0083, on the other hand, seem to engage in a lot of calculated
wordplay. "Lili Marleen" (sometimes rendered as "Lili Marlene") -- for which
Cima Garahau's Zanzibar is named -- was arguably the most popular song for foot
soldiers on both sides of World War II. The words are from the poem "The Song
Of A Young Sentry" by a German soldier named Hans Liep, who wrote it just before
going to the Russian front in 1915, set to music by Norbert Schultze in 1938.
The song was banned by the Nazis -- Goebbels didn't like it and decried its
"portentous character" -- but Rommel allowed it to be broadcast to his Afrika
Korps troops, after which it became almost an anthem. Allied troops picked it
up from Radio Belgrade broadcasts and an English version was subsequently
recorded by movie star Marlene Dietrich (Maria Magdalena von Losch Dietrich) in
1944 after an RCA choral version hit Number 13 that June.

-Z-