BlazeEagle@aol.com
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 02:18:54 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/2000 1:28:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sedusa66@aol.com writes:

<< Nobody deserves messed up things, no matter what they did, unless we bring
 ourselves down to that level. And we don't really know the specifics of
 every prisoner. Even if the sentence is the same, do we treat the homeless
 person who is busted for assualt trying to get away while stealing food for
 his family the same as the person who beats up an old person for fun? (I'm
 being intentionally extreme) .. These two people might have the same
 sentence, and the same charge, but they are two way different people with
way
 different situations.>>

Excatly what I was trying to say. Someone that comments a crime for the heck
of it or people who go around killing for no reason, are scum and deserve
severe punishent. A homeless boy stealing food, while stealing is wrong, he
should not be punsihed for it, because there's no other way for him to eat to
stay alive. Same goes for the homeless man you mentioned. Yeah, some would
argue that there's government programs to help him, but as we all know, that
doesn't always mean the people who really need it, will get the help. While
according to our laws it is wrong to assualt and steal, but it's not the same
thing as killing for fun. To keep people from thinking laws are lax, this
homeless man has to be sentenced to a jail sentence, but since the
intentions/reasons where "good", he deserves a much better sentence then a
"pleasure" killer/hurter does. Just because someone comments a crime, doesn't
make them horrible, evil animal. Like you say, this person could be a
homeless man, feeding his family and this type of person is not an animal or
scum at all, he's just a homeless man doing what he can manage to do, to
support his family. I was trying to say that people who hurt/kill just for
fun, deserve whatever they got. The homeless man doesn't deserve what ever he
get's, as he is just trying to support or at least feed, his family. Everyone
who comments a crime, does for a variety of reasons. The specific's of this
person's actions should affect his punishment and does not deserve to be
served a generic sentence.

<< I don't, and that was part of my point. I have a feeling that a lot of
 miscarriages of justice occur in the people's republic, as it's one of those
 stunning examples of communism's failures in the human rights arena.>>

  Right.

 << erm... that wasn't my point. just that if we find what is basically
slave
 labor unspeakable here in the US, just because it's in some other messed up
 country doesn't make it any better. And like I said, I'm playing devil's
 advocate. I'm a complete addict to my consumer culture and I don't really
 see myself changing my ways any time soon. >>

  Right, that's the way I feel too. I didn't mean to seem like I was saying
it was okay or in anyway acceptable for forced labor, was just trying to say
how hard something like that would be to end. Besides, what if forced labor
is accepted as part of a foreign countries culture, ya know? Doesn't mean we
agree with it, but who are we to boss other countries around, no matter how
"good" our intention's would be? See what I am trying to say? What's taboo in
one country, could be totally acceptable to another. There's no way to 100%
decide what is "good" and "right" in the world, as this can vary greatly from
person to person and culture to culture. Anyway, this is way off topic, so
this is all I am saying on the issue.

 <<Ok, for once I agree with you aaron, this is way too OT. I'm too tired to
 argue anyway :) (Just got back from a few days with my dad for his
 wedding, and both sides of the family are hardcore alcoholics... Owww, my
 aching head...) >>

  Thanks, sorry for adding a bit to it, but it seems I was VERY, VERY, bad at
putting my views into words! :) Bet it was tough, dealing with them.

Aaron
"Believing a sign of Zeta"