James E. \ (Bimmicus@excite.com)
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 02:13:35 -0700 (PDT)

First of all, thanks to everyone who's participated in this thread so far.
It's been really excellent, I think... we may not all agree, and it's a
helluva deep hole to start digging in the first place, but the discussion
here has made me think, and think again.

This reminds me of a very important aspect of the thing which has brought us
together on this list... something which lies beyond the cool machines and
pretty pictures which fascinate us so... the underlying themes of almost
every story that has been told under the name of GUNDAM.

Injustice. Greed. The sorrow of humanity. Moral stagnation.

Misguided principles. Misguided action. Indifference and transcendence.

Intiiative. Questioning. Loss. Persistence.

The struggle to do what one feels is right, versus the impossibility of that
struggle given human weakness.

I think it's important that we who call ourselves fans contemplate the
larger issues implied by the this collection of stories... for when you put
away all the flashy sci-fi trappings, it is about no less than ourselves.
The worlds of UC, AC, and FC are the same world in which we ourselves are
living. I think it's good to make ourselves aware of that, and realize that
we too must be warriors, though the outcome be anything but certain.

Again, excellent thread... I'll have more to say on this later.

J.E.D.

---

Nobody's family can hang out the sign "Nothing's the matter here".

-Chinese proverb

_______________________________________________________ Say Bye to Slow Internet! http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html