BlazeEagle@aol.com
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 03:35:38 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/2000 2:53:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bimmicus@excite.com writes:

<< On this whole subject of forced labor...

 As far as I know, the assumption that MSIA and other Bandai toys are made by
 prison laborers is so far just that... an assumption. I would need to find
 out more about it before jumping to conclusions. Granted, any toy with a
 "made in China" label has a fairly high chance of being made this way... but
 I'd want to know for sure. And such information can be difficult to track
 down. If anyone does have more insight in this matter, I'd welcome it.>>

  Right, I was just basically speculationg about it. I can't help it, I like
to speculate a lot. :) I have no idea why, I just like to speculate. If its
"prison" as in commenting a crime like murder, fraud, stuff like that. If
they are true criminials, then it doesn't bother me at all. Espcailly murder
and fraud. I hope I didn't seem like I was jumping to conclusions either, I
just like to speculate. It makes me feel bad if its happening, but if it's in
a foreign country, then it shouldn't bother us too bad, as we cannot help
what other countries do. Really, it's not America's or Japan's job to be the
worlds police. I am sure if the USA or Japan tried to help make these
countries stop forced labor, they would be seen as bullies, dictators,
bosses, meddlers, etc. Don't some countries use forced labor as a type of
punishment for criminals?

 <<I'm not nearly enough of an idealist to believe that a boycott of
 Chinese-manufactured toys is feasible, or that it would even make any kind
 of difference. China is still a very insular country and extremely resentful
 of outside meddling. If their prison population were not being put to work
 for the sake of "industry", it is not likely their lives would be any
 better.>>

  What do you mean by "prison population" are these prisoners people who
commented violent or non violent, but hurtful/damaging crimes? If this is it
you mean, why feel guilty? I wouldn't feel guilty at all, if a violent
offender built my toys. Someone who kills or hurts someone just for the sake
it, deserves worse, if you ask me. Now if these are innocent people, then no,
this it not right at all. But we shouldn't feel guilty if it's done in
another country, as telling another country what to do is akin to going to a
friend's house and bossing him around. The friend would probably tell you to
leave or bust your nose! :) It is horrible for innocent people to be forced
to work under greuling condition's, but if it's not our job to tell other
countries what to do. Give advice Yes, but it's not really our job to help
fix a friend or neighbor's life, if they don't want your help, right?

<< I try to follow my conscience with regards to what I spend money on,
 but there's so much corruption and so much bad intent out there it's nearly
 impossible to stay truly "clean" unless one subsists on a diet of bean
 sprouts and makes all one's own clothing.>>

  Ain't that the truth. Your right.

<< I do think it's important to be as informed as possible....>>

  So do I.

<< I've heard disturbing things about conditions at
 Sony factories in Mexico that make it very unlikely I'll ever buy one of
 their products again, and I will sure as hell never give a so much as a bent
 cent to those evil bastards at Nike... but it's very, very hard to do the
 right thing in a world so full of people who will screw their fellow man
 into the ground for the sake of a quick buck. It saddens me, and it makes a
 lot of the cool stuff in the toy store seem a lot less appetizing in
 retrospect.>>

  Ugh, I don't really want to know what Sony does. This is depressing enough.
So, I guess I need to feel quilty about own a Playstation as well? :(

<< Ah, hell, I don't think I even have a point here. This is just depressing

  Yep, I agree. Sorry to bring it up, I just had to get it off my mind a bit.
Well, on a lighter note. I decided to order from HLJ, to give them one more
chance. It took them only four days to fill my order, I even canceled and
changed an item and it took about four days to send a payment request. I am
putting my money order in the mail today. I'll have a review of the ABiA
Dunbine in a week or two. Even if someone beats me too it, as I need to start
writiing some reviews to build up some review writing skills.

Aaron
"Believing a sign of Zeta"