BlazeEagle@aol.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:45:55 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/2000 8:19:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bimmicus@excite.com writes:

<< Never have bought one, but that's still a shame if true. I had always
 assumed Bandai made all their stuff in Japan, since that' s apparently the
 case with their model kits and more deluxe toys (though I do have an
 original RX-78 kit that's marked "Made In Thailand"). I have a real problem
 with Chinese forced labor (worker's paradise, my shiny white ass) and try to
 avoid products which I know utilize it (indeed, anything from any company
 that uses sweatshop labor), so the chances that I will pick an MSIA up on a
 whim now is pretty close to zero. Ah well.>>

  Yes, it sure is a shame if it's true, I did not know this. Well, China is
ruled by communism and those type of ideals are pretty big on taking away as
many human rights as possible. It could be stopped, but wouldn't China fight
against the UN or some other agency/governmet, if they tried to stop their
practices? If they signed a treaty to stop it, would they adhere to it? I do
not very much at all about China, so I am not sure about their government's
practices. There are plenty of American toys that say "Made in China" or
Thailand, etc., that are surely made by forced/slave labor, right? Thousands
of US parents buy their kids toys that say that on them and never bother to
think about the poor souls who made them. I really don't think that fact, if
known, would stop them from still buying, right? Some moan about the panel
lines being messy on the MSiA, but think for a minute what could have caused
that, exhaustion or even a beating, could have caused them to be messed up,
you know? This is very horrible to think about. Should we all stop buying
MSiA's then? I am sure the Japanese parent's buy their kids MSiA's, too. I
don't think American's and Japanese people, are going to stop buying them any
time soon, if at all. I have doubts about stuff until I see actual evidence.
I don't doubt that slave labor is used, but even though I believe that it is
used, a part of me doesn't want to believe until I see actual evidence. Yeah,
slave labor can be stopped, but who's going spend all the time, people,
assets, etc., that are needed to stop this? It is no small task to stop this,
actually fighting and killing would be involved probably, as a government
that abhors slavery would have to most likely take over or "Adopt" these
countries to prevent further forced labor. How long would it take to end
this? I better stop, as this is way off topic, but if people truly care about
this issue, they will realize this is beyond just being off topic, but I do
not want to rant. If anyone has any ideas about this issue, please share them.

<< I don't quite understand why they use that ghastly soft plastic... for
 McFarlane's stuff it makes sense, what with the insane level of detail in
 their sculpts, but for simple shapes like MS, I just don't get it. .The
 plastic is the main thing that's kept me away, frankly, as I think it looks
 cheap, cheesy, and awful, and I hate the way that stuff feels to the touch,
 not to mention the stink.>>

  The plastic is not as bad as McFarlanes is. At least the MSiA's don't break
at the slightest touch. Yeah, they do stink, but if put on a shelf, the smell
does go away some. I haven't done it with MSiA's, but other American toys
that have the same type of smell, washing them in warm soapy water helps get
rid a lot of the smell. I actually like the plastic they are made of. While
rubberish, the plastic is durable, though. Model cement doesn't even hurt
them!

<< As for price, 1000 yen on the Japanese market for a figure like that is
 probably about right. For the US market, I couldn't see paying more than 7
 bucks for one of the simplified GW types. Sure as hell not worth 18+ bucks
 at Software Etc. and its ilk, though.>>

  Software , Etc., is selling the Japanese one's for about the same price
places like Image Anime sell them for. I ordered my first MSiA's from HLJ,
that was late last year, I think it was. As the shipping costs for MSiA's at
least, isn't too bad.

<< I meant in terms of being toys. The level of finish and the extensive
 articulation is somewhat unique among the small robot toys that have
 preceded it... although I suppose MICROMAN was doing the same thing with
 joints years ago.>>

  Yep. The Micromen themselves are much more simple then Gundam mecha are. A
lot of the older transforming robots from Microman aren't very articulated.
But other then Microman, the MSiA's articulation are great compared to
Hasbro's SW figures and other US figures and the old robot toys. Although Toy
Biz is going to release Spider-Man figures with 30 points of articulation,
including fingers, early in 2001. These figures will be 6 inches as well!
Although they don't count as robots, are still really neat. The MSiA's are
even better them the MS in Pocket figures and the Micro Gundam's. A lot of
MSiA's can kneel, whereas the MSiP and Micro Gundam's, while well
articulated, had solid, non moveable/beadable armor skirts. While the GW
MSiA's have non moveable skirts, they do bend without danger of breaking and
allow for kneeling poses.

<< I figure I'd feel the same way. I've got enough models as it is. Although I
 , uhm, really do kinda want one of those ABIA DUNBINEs... hmmm.. moral
 dilemna... >>

Warning, proofreading rant warning, sorry:

  Well, they are fun to play with. They would work especially well for a
table top mecha war game as well! :) Yep, now that I know this I feel the
same way, but well probably buy more of them. While I would like to not buy
them, not because they are bad, but because of the forced labor, I will
probably still buy them. Yeah, we could stop buying them, but unless
thousands American's and Japanese stop buying them, Unless it's like 50% of
people who buy MSiA's stop buying them, not buying most likely won't help. If
it's not MSiA's being made by forced labor, it's something else. Be it toys,
clothes, coffee makers, etc. Forced labor will always be used by some, even
if the majority of the world bans it. The majority of MSiA buyers would have
to stop buying them, for it to take affect. We all probably think this
horrible, but are we truly willing to drop our lives, to protect innocent
people's human rights? We can talk all we want about how horrible it is, but
how many people are truly willing to do everything it takes to stop human
right's abuses? There's a a lot of good things in the world, as well of lot's
of really horrible stuff. But we can't be the worlds saviors. Sorry for the
rant, but see how complex this issue is? I am sure I barely touched the
surface of this issue, though. Sorry for bringing up so much negative stuff,
but When forced labor was mentioned, it made me think.