Ricky Lai (x-lai@uchicago.edu)
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:36:30 -0500

That would be it! If only the rest of the Federation realizes their inaction
actually causes more damage, viewers would at least benefit from heightened
intensity of action. Oh well, the ships from 0087 aren't all that appealing
anyway, except for a few keynote ships.

Mark Simmons wrote:

> Hm. I think the small size of the combatant fleets in Z Gundam is
> probably intentional - we're meant to feel that the Federation proper is
> sitting on the sidelines letting the Titans and AEUG duke it out. Like
> CCA, it's a small-scale war involving a handful of ships, in which the
> rest of the Federation fleet gets involved only reluctantly.
>
> Not to mention that the Z writers were assuming that the Federation
> hadn't really rebuilt its armed forces after the end of the war. The
> massive arms buildup of 0083 was a big fat retcon, which required an
> equally massive catastrophe to erase and restore the shrunken military we
> see in Z Gundam.

As well the series deserves to be trashed.

> I won't try defending the tactics of Zz, though :-)

Three cheers to Delaz for his brilliant manuveurs! The gist of war tactics is to
outsmart the opponent. Delaz cannot be blamed for being smarter than the retarded
Feds. Of course, Gato deserves much credit for single-handedly destroying the
pursuing fleet. Just a sec, wouldn't Axis be responsible for his achievement...?
They kick ass!

> The Delaz Fleet's not that much bigger than the AEUG or Titans fleets -
> it's tallied at about 14 capital ships, plus another 7 or so for Cima's
> fleet. The surviving Federation forces that pursue Delaz from the naval
> review are supposed to outnumber his fleet 5 to 1, so we can guesstimate
> that the pursuit fleet is 100 strong (and, since 60% of the ships at the
> naval review were disabled by Gato's attack, the original headcount would
> have been at least 250). Thus, the pursuit of the runaway colony involves
> 120 warships, though they barely come into contact thanks to Delaz's
> cunning manuevering & Gato's monster mobile armor.

The problem is that the audience only sees ships firing randomly. We never saw a
ship really getting hit: in fact the colon laser is the only thing that sank
Titans ships! As for the Axis fleet, forget it -- I consider myself fortunate for
seeing a shot of Gwanban.

> By comparison, the makeshift AEUG fleet that carries out the Jaburo
> drop operation totals 9 ships. The Ahgama bridge displays during the last
> episode of Z Gundam show at least 18 Titans ships, 15 AEUG, and 6 Axis
> off on the sidelines - about 40 ships in all, and that's after one full
> episode of sustained fighting. Pretty substantial fleet action if you ask
> me. :-)

As Lim Jyue observes, Zion and U.N.T. ships are built for different purposes. The
Salamis class obviously could not compete with the Musai class in a long-range
fleet battle, as seen in parts of 0083. The brief scene of a line of Musai class
firing to their right is awesome!

> I wouldn't be too hard on Kishiria - the main thing on her mind was
> getting to A Bao A Qu, even though this meant racing through a Federation
> fleet on route. The point is that Zeon ships fare very badly when they're
> in the middle of the fray, getting hit from all sides - the Musai, in
> particular, is designed to sit safey back from the action and provide
> artillery fire.

As well as the Zions deserve to look good! The Feds aren't exactly the good guys
anyway. Why do they deserve to be praised by the storyline?

> I wouldn't put too much stock in 0083 in this repect - their chief
> concern seems to be making the Zeons look good. In the original series,
> both Char's and Kishiria's Zanzibars get blown to hell by Salamis cannon fire.

Shouldn't other ships be designed to cater for oversized MSs like the Sazabi as
well?

> >Although judging from the relative size of the MS hatch is by no means an
> >effective way, the Reyullura does have a relatively large hatch.
>
> Yeah, but it's carrying big mobile suits. The Sazabi requires a lot
> more head clearance than a Zaku. ;-)

Don't forget the shot in which the two ships are "parked" next to each other!
Dogogear is less than half as long as Gwadan. If we take into consideration how
much of the Dogosgear's length is contributed by its decks, then the Dogogear
actually doesn't have much mass.

> >Yet it manages to pack in more firepower than any other ship of the same
> >size (with the exception of Sadaran if they belong to the same scale).
> >How'd they do that!?
>
> Good question. Frankly, the Dogos Gear makes the kilometer-long Gwadan
> look puny...

An attempt on the creators' side to satisfy the kids who watch such a grown-up
animation?

> Very true - when you work the math, the boost from such a short track
> is negligible. I think they just use them because they look cool. :-)

At least Hamaan seems to have claimed to rear deck for her exclusive use...
Perhaps Zion capital ships share the common feature of a super large hatch.
Think, for example, how else could the Axis Advance Fleet manage to get Neue Ziel
out of the hangar?