Leslie_R (trojan@atoka.net)
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:21:14 -0500

Joseph Riggs wrote:

> Also, with the exception of the episode "Balance of Terror" (a duel with a cloaked Romulan Warbird - quick question - Its been how many years, and how many generations of ships later, and they're STILL calling them
> Warbirds?), I really can't remember any straight-up starship combats in the original series. Admittedly, I haven't seen too many of the old episodes, but the only one I can remember that involves fighting with a
> klingon vessel also has the klingon vessel fleeing the moment the Enterprise is able to let loose with a good volley.

that episode, and Star Trek 2 "The wrath of Khan" were probalby the best
examples of space battels in the entire frahchise.. just tow good
commanders useing good ships and good tactics and whoever had the most
tricks up his sleave or could see through mroe of the other guy's tricks
won.. after that we se the Enterprise (in whatever incarnation) jsut sit
and take a beating until somebody finds a special little gimmick to
totally pimp-slap the other guy in one volly.. tow prime examples in TNG
movies in Generations espionage allows the Durass sisters to find a way
around the enterprise' shields and IIRC Riker didn't open fire until
After Worf notified him of a 'convinient' design flaw in the series of
Bird of prey the sisters were flying.. i mean they were in a ship that
was what, 5-10 times the size of the other vessel? why didn't they just
load the torpedo bays and just keep shooting untill the othe ship blew
up? (and in TNG torpedo launchers can have a rather immpressive rate of
fire) and in Inssurectoin Grnted Riker came up with a kewl trick pumpint
consentrated methane that he had sucked up in the ramscoops out and
letting the enemy ships fry themselves with it.. but c'mon.. the
Soverign class enterprise-E was designed and built at the time when the
federation was being seriously threatened by the borg and the dominion
and what have you as a battleship, not an explorer vessel, and they were
running from a pair of black-market cruisers?

so far my favorite from that entire franchise is still Deep Space nine,
even with the hokey Emissary and prophet stuff Sisko knew how to rock
the house when the fit hit the shan...

-Les

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse