Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
21 Sep 2000 22:58:01 -0000

Obviously some people never really WATCHED the show...the Borg do not simply come out guns blazing when first encountering a civilization. They send in a scout which then scans the civilization's computer systems, etc. to gather information. If the first is killed, they adapt against the weapons and send another. Once the tech level and abilities are determined, they come en masse. And you also miss the immense SIZE of many Borg cubes. These things are MASSIVE. At least a kilometer or 3 or each side. If you start out with nukes or a colony in position, you can do something. But with the puny energy and projectile weapons available to most Gundam machines, you won't be much more than pinpricks....IF you can get through the shields.

And you are forgetting timing...they'd only have to worry about nukes before the Antarctic Treaty and a few times in between and only with certain sides. Colony drops are even worse...do you realize the planning and time it takes to perform one of these? The only things that MIGHT have a chance is the colony laser or the Solar System.

And you forget that a photon torp is an anti-matter weapon....alot more powerful than a nuke in most cases.

And then as pointed out below, all they have to do is beam over a few dozen of their drones into each ship (each Borg cube has several million to a billion or more drones on it so this ain't a problem, and the ships don't have shields, so that won't stop them), and they can take them over quickly. After that is done, the MSes won't make that much difference as their weapons wouldn't be enough (they'd be making shield generators very quickly) to affect them. Shortly thereafter, the colonies are invaded, as is Earth....end of story, end of the human race. As has been shown in the series...the only way to beat them is from the inside...it is virtually impossible to do so if you don't have something linking you to them on the inside....the only ones to do so were beings from an alternate dimension that couldn't be affected by their weapons (Species 8472).

Anyways, that is my take on this particular discussion.

Roland