Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:55:49 -0700

Adobe Photoshop is the obvious choice. Of course, it's the most expensive
and the hardest for newbies to pick up, but it's worth it in the end. I've
been using it since version 3 and I'm so used to the interface now that you
couldn't pay me to change. The other option would be Paint Shop Pro, which
is an order of magnitude less expensive, but I really don't care for the way
it does things ... others do, to each his own I guess.
The hardest part about combining two pictures is getting the lighting right.
If you want to insert a model into a picture of a mountain range, you need
to make sure the model has approximately the same degree and color of light
shining on it when you take the picture, otherwise it's going to look overly
fake and amateurish. Taking the picture against a blue or green screen might
also be advisable (just like the movies!) since it will vastly simplify the
background removal from your models picture and make it easier to get into
the "real" picture.
Other stuff you need to worry about is shadows, which you'll probably need
to paint in by hand, and general effects on the picture of the model itself
to try and make it look closer to the background image. You may find it
easier to work in blank and white until you get the hang of it.

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler