Emery Calame (palaeomerus@excite.com)
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 02:08:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 00:50:41 EDT, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> In a message dated 9/21/00 12:26:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> kurenaijiku@tech-base.com writes:
>
> << Here's my GM Custom that isn't complete, and I've been working on for
> awhile. Untextured mind you. >>
>
> Mind if I ask a couple of questions about this? Okay, here goes:
>
> 1. How hard is it to get started in Gundam 3D modeling? Can I get into
this
> without any drawing skills? I can draw, but not very good at all. If
anyone
> doesn't believe me, I can scan one. I warn you, it's not very good and
you'd
> probably laugh at it! ;)

The more you do it the easier it gets. The less you do it the more you'll
think its impossible. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Start with
computer monitors and tables and race cars and funny looking dogs and teddy
bears and more abstarct stuff and when you get the hang of it(how to use the
program and how to do basic objects ) move on to more complex stuff.
Eventually when you are ready for a challeneg try to break a mobile suit up
into the same shapes you used on your earlier projects. Then do a drawing,
put it by your monitor (or in the background of the work area onf you 3d
program if possible) and start trying to match it piece by piece.

> 2. Is there premade, uncolored models that I can color myself?

Well most free models are trek ships and bad nekkid lady mannequin-type
things. I've seen some Gundam pics out there but not many models.

> 3. What type of program, at a reasonable cost, do I need to do this stuff
in?

I'm gonna stick to free and cheap stuff here so you can see if you have a
real ineterest. This will be a pretty windows-centric list cause I use
windows.

Free and shareware, and >$100 modelers that I've found useful...

1.)Nendo(Polygon Modeller w/ paint features $99)Free demo w/ no save gives
you good idea if you can use it or not. It has a very very simple intuitive
interface but also has few display bugs. Good for lower polygon modeling
projects.
http://www.nichimen.com/nendo/index.shtml

2.)HamaPatch(Spline patch modeller w/ export filters and OpenGL
preview..free!)
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza/6625/soft10.html

3.)SPatch(Spline Patch modeller w/ layers/export filters and OpenGl...free!)
http://www.geocities.com/pjpii_2000/index.html

4.)Anim8or(polygon modeller/animation w/ bones and IK/texturing/rendering
all
for free! )
http://www.anim8or.com/

5.)Softy3d( shareware metashapes and metasplines modeller about $40)
http://www.softy3d.com/

6.)Strata3d Strata has a cut down version of their main package for free
download. It might take while to get through your modem but it's free!! You
have to click the button marked "downloads" on the menu strip on the left of
the page. All the other links are busted. I think you can order it with a
manual and a CD-rom for $39. It's a good start if you don't know what you
want to do I think. It's not great but it has a good fast renderer, good
texture tools,and it's great for stills.
http://www.strata.com

7.)Blender 3d. Truly a freaky program from mars Blender has just about
everything you could want lurking somewhere in it's cryptic depths. It's
free too but you'll need to order the $50 manual from the Netherlands to
make sense of it most likely.
http://www.blender.nl/

8.) A free terrain generator called Terragen is fun to play with and can
generate natural looing backgrounds to composite your models on when you get
that far.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

Also visit POVRAY.ORG. It has a lot of stuff under "graphics links" and you
could go a long way with just free stuff dug from in that one page. POV RAY
is a great free raytracer by the way. It's hard to learn to use but with a
companion program like Moray or Breeze and a good modeller it's pretty
handy.
http://www.povray.org

If you want to spend something more like $200 to $300 you can get

Cinema4dGo $195 (WIN/MAC)
http://www.maxon.net

Hash Animation Master $299 (WIN/MAC)
http://www.hash.com

Pixels3d (Mac only) $299
http://www.pixels3d.com

A good photoshop-type 3d program to be had for free is GIMP. It was
originally only for linux but now there is a windows port.
http://www.jumbo.com/pages/tw3p/110299/1.html (WIN)

> 4. Is there anything else I need to know, before I get started, that I
did
> not ask/Did not know to ask?

Just dive in and find your own way. There is some great advice in the
archives at 3dARk
http://www.3dark.com/

Also you might find some friends and a helping hand at 3dNation which is an
AOL style coffee clatch/community for amateur 3d afficionados.
It loads a little slow sometimes. :)
http://www.3dnation.com

> Thanks for any help. Your model looks really good, even in it's
unfinished,
> bare state.
>
> Aaron

I hope some of this was a bit helpful for ya. Peace and flowers.

Emery
palaeomerus@excite.com