KurenaiJiku (kurenaijiku@rtsfan.com)
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:41:29 -0700

> Mind if I ask a couple of questions about this? Okay, here goes:
>
>1. How hard is it to get started in Gundam 3D modeling? Can I get into this
>without any drawing skills? I can draw, but not very good at all. If anyone
>doesn't believe me, I can scan one. I warn you, it's not very good and you'd
>probably laugh at it! ;)

Drawing skills helps...but drawing skills are more of a practiced
coordination skill more than anything else. Your creativity is what fuels
any type of art, and just as long (which most or all people have inherent
when they're born...just that some are more developed than others) then you
can do 3D modelling. Depending on how developed your perception and
problem solving skills are, the learning process can be painful or quite
smooth.

>2. Is there premade, uncolored models that I can color myself?

Actually, coloring or what 3D artists like to call (no seriously lol)
texturing is a secondary factor when it comes to creating a 3D model. It's
the modelling part that's a bitch...it can involve creating a complex
object like a toaster oven with all those buttons and knobs, out of a
stupid rectangle. :| Knowing geometry (looks like those high school math
courses came in handy eh? ^_^) really helps when it comes to the modelling
process.

>3. What type of program, at a reasonable cost, do I need to do this stuff
in?
>Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You probably want to get Truespace (as it's cheap) but it's not a very good
program. It can get you started, and it's good especially if you're unsure
if you want to do this sort of thing. Otherwise spending 4800 USD on 3D
Studio Max and then finding out you don't want to do it anymore is surely a
waste...although you can always send your copy to me. ;)

>4. Is there anything else I need to know, before I get started, that I did
>not ask/Did not know to ask?

Hm...I can't really think of anything...

>Thanks for any help. Your model looks really good, even in it's unfinished,
>bare state.

Thanks! Let's hear those comments Alfred! =D

Kuren