Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:02:01 -0700

Ricky Lai writes,

>Thanks for gathering the information. As Mark Simmons notes, there are
>actually two types of Gwazine class. Apparently, the one featured in 0079
>is only about 290 meters, which is a hell lot smaller than that in 0083
>-- 440 meters.

  Not necessarily. The old dimensions weren't really official - they were
just guesses published in one of the Roman Album books. I'd say the
figures from 0083 simply supersede the older estimates.

>Obviously, the storylines written back in 1985~6 -- the Z and ZZ series --
>contain poor military sense. If the Axis navy was such a force to reckon
>with, why would its flagship be wandering in the middle of nowhere, only
>to be ganged on an entire Titans fleet? Also, wouldn't such a formidable
>force possess more just a few cruisers, as portraited in the series?

  Well, the Axis were supposed to be short on resources, but it doesn't
really make much sense for the Gwadan to cruise around without at least a
small escort fleet... especially since such fleets appear in both 0083
and ZZ. During Z Gundam, though, the Axis fleet proper was never shown -
an early issue of Newtype guessed that they had a bunch of Musai cruisers
that remained off-camera, though it eventually turns out that the Axis
fleet consists of newly-built Endora-class cruisers instead.

>The reliability of the info Sadaran's MS capacity is questionable.

  On the contrary - since we have actual line art for the Sadaran's MS
hangar, complete with MS dollies and tracks leading to the catapults,
it's one of the few ships whose MS capacity we can state with certainty.
(Since there are two doors leading to the catapults, I'm pretty certain
that this one hangar serves both catapults, and that there's just one
hangar level aboard the ship.)

>If Sadaran is presumably larger than the Doros class, which is very likely
>to be the case, then the former should be able to house more than a mere 10
>when the latter can hold more than 100.

  Depends what it's designed for. The Doros is basically a huge multi-
level array of MS hangars and catpults with two stubby little engine
blocks... it's not implausible that its MS capacity would be several
times that of a battleship like the Sadaran.

>Moreover, in some later episodes in the ZZ series, when
>Mashuma's Endora II makes an assault on Neul-Aghama, there appears to be way
>more than just 6 mobile suits launching from the cruiser. Of course, having
>stated the unreliability of scripts and storylines in the older series, that
>statement is highly debateable.

  Yeah, I'd noticed that too. The line art for the Endora's MS hangar
indicates dollies and tracks for just six mobile suits, but they seem to
cram a lot more in there on a regular basis. :-)

>Wasn't Delaz fighting in A Bao A Qu's defense as well. He must have
>commanded a decent fleet at that time.

  Not necessarily an entire fleet - even given Zeon's penchant for low
ranks, a captain wouldn't be placed in command of that many ships. But
yeah, the two Doros-class carriers did have backup. Roughly a quarter of
Zeon's fleet was deployed in A Bao A Qu's S (south) field, with the
Doroa, and the rest was stationed in the N field with the Doros. Delaz
was presumably stationed in the S field too, since Gato hops from the
Doroa to Delaz's ship.

> Zion couldn't have aimed at fighting off an entire
>U.N.T. navy with just a Doros class. And even if they really did, what's to
>fear about the U.N.T. fleet, with her next-to-useless MS's and vessels?

  Them's fighting words! :-) The GM is roughly equal to the Rick Dom, and
definitely superior to the Zaku. It's outclassed by the Gelgoog, but
these made up only a portion of Zeon's A Bao A Qu forces. (Even the
hapless Ball becomes fairly intimidating when acting as a support unit
for the close-combat GM.)

  The Federation's ships aren't that sucky, either. The Magellan is
bigger and more heavily armed than any Zeon ship short of the Gwazin and
Doros class... and while Zeon has only a handful of these ships, the
Magellan makes up roughly 20% of the Federation fleet. And the Salamis
isn't really as tiny as the 0083 specs make it seem (if it was really 200
meters, how could it house an MS hangar in which 18-meter mobile suits
stand upright?). I'd give a Salamis good odds against a Musai...

  If you have the 1/1200 scale models of the Salamis, Musai, and
Magellan, it's instructive to compare them side by side - they're
actually the correct size relative to each other. (The White Base in this
scale is a bit too big, though). The Musai doesn't look so intimidating
in this lineup. :-)

-- Mark