Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:20:07 -0700

>I've been recently involved in a
>debate(http://www.gundamshop.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/398.html#16) about
>1/144s and their merits vs. 1/100s. I'm wondering, what is the general
>outlook on 1/100s vs. 1/144s here?
>
>Here's how I feel personally:
>
>1/144-
>PROS-High selection of mechs not available in 1/100,adding a greater variety
>to choose from. space-saving 'action figure' size. Also, the HG series has
>some real nice detail. Sometimes more solid than larger kits. Low prices, as
>well.
>
>CONS-too small, not as much detail and color accuracy as 1/100s. Harder to
>paint as well.
>
>1/100
>PROS-Goodies such as golden and translucent parts;and in the case of MG,
>interior structures; large size. Good color accuracy
>
>CONS-Hard for beginners in some cases; tend to be rather flimsy sometimes
>due to their construction and size. Expensive, too. Also, somewhat limited
>selection...some of the better mechs get left out.
>

>Any other thoughts?

Personally I think the 1/144 kits are the "quickie fixes" released to
cash-in while the show is hot. 1/100 kits usually come out after 1/144
ones and the limited selection was a function of the design's lasting
appeal and its mechanical soundness, as in some cases a 1/100 kit won't
come out until the show has finished its initial run on TV and the more
"boring" or "weird" designs never got made into 1/100 scale.

A friend recently dissed MG kit builders as people who "buy their skills"
instead of getting a crappy 1/144 kit from the early or mid-80s and
really work it to make it good. While I don't necessarily agree with his
point of view, since there are a lot of maniacs who do mod works on MG
kits and you can barely recognize the base kit they used (for example, a
Gouf conversion based on a MG Zaku II kit), I can see where he's coming
from though. One can just snap a MG kit together, Gundam Marker the
panel lines, and it will usually look way better when it's put next to a
nicely put together "non-graded" kit.

I think there's room for both kits - 1/144 kits will always be more popular
because they are cheaper, kids can afford them. 1/100 kits are targeted
at people with more disposable income and don't necessarily believe in
spending too much of their valuable time just to make their kits look nice.

Eddie

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0