Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:02:07 GMT

Before I start on my kit review, I would like to thank Luigi and company of Neutral
Grounds, Warhammer fanatics all of them, for urging me to get the damn kit.
 I am both happy and sad that they did. I am happy because I have a nice kit,
and sad that my wallet is inestimably thinner now.

MG RX-78 ver.1 vs. ver. 1.5

Okay peeps, here I go again with my comparisons, but I can't help it, I have
both of them here, so I may as well do it.

The big difference , you see, is that the state of plastic kit technology has
gone forward, and it's because of this that a ver. 1.5 of the RX-78 was so necessary.
 So, without further do, let's go at it from head to toe.

Head:

The V1 head had an interesting "see-my-brain" design, in which one could lift
the top area of the head to show the internals. Of note is the fact that there
are eye slits on the core piece of the head which mirror the clear plastic piece
of the eyes themselves. Very weird. However this arrangement makes for awkward
proportioning, something which the V1.5 head improves upon. It does away with
the brain flap, true, but in the course of doing so, it makes for good proportioning.
 Another important change in the V1.5 is the shape of both the lower part of
the head and the neck collar. They've been slightly redesigned so that you
can move around the head more, which is conspicuously limited in the original
version.

Chest:

The chest has also been improved upon in the new version, with a more sloping
angle, and that the vents on the chest have individually-movable vent-fins.
 The cockpit plate is the same as before. The backpack is the same in both
versions. Tot tell the truth, except for the vent-fins, it wouldn't have been
noticeable, except for the change in panel lines -- there are thankfully less
of them in the newer version, making for a less-cluttered look.

Shoulders/arms:

The shoulders are larger now, and have less line detail; personally, I seem
to like the older and smaller shoulders, since they give the MS a more barbaric
look. The newer, larger shoulder plates just give it a more kiddy look, as
well as psychologically affecting the ratio of head size to overall height.

The arms are essentially the same. With a few minor improvements in the elbow
joint; nothing to really write home about.

The new things are the hands; V1.5 comes with a new pair of hands which are
in trigger position, and have hinges so it can accommodate the rifle or the
bazooka. Since there are trigger hands for left and right, then that means
one can have rifle in one hand and bazooka in the other. Very cool. My only
complaint is that the shape of the trigger hands is not as proportional.

Waist/crotch:

While the main bulk of it is the same in both versions, V1.5 has new side and
front skirt panels, as well as a new crotch plate which has less detail and
is, err, more pronounced than the V1 crotch. The new front skirt plates allow
for a larger range of movement, thus allowing for more dynamic poses. The side
skirt panels are a pain though, for they have no slots to fit the rifle's peg
in. This means you can't stow the rifle. BOO. The bazooka clamp at the back
is unchanged.

Legs/feet:

Now this is where it really does become a new thing entirely. The V1 legs were
okay; they were what you would expect of the early MG's, but proportions wise,
it didn't allow for the kneeling position because the thighs were too short.
 Also, the basic structure of the legs was a bit more retro, a bit rounder,
and more organic. The plus of all this was that it looked like the old MS designs.
 The minus of all this was that it wasn't very poseable.

Enter the new legs. They are MG-sized versions of the PG legs, with an ingenious
molding process to make it with pistons that actually extend and all that.
The knees are now designed such that the gundam can crouch if it wants to, and
for the final trick, it can actually kneel, thanks to the redesigned proportions.
 For all this, I think it was worth it to buy the V1.5.

Accessories:

Aside from the standard V1 accessories, it also has the Beam Javelin and Hyper
hammer. The beam javelin is a great piece of work, and it's very intimidating,
but the big winner is the Hyper Hammer. Chain links and all, it is one nice
weapon, and perfectly usable by the 1/100 Turn A, which I also have, ehehehehhe.

Conclusion:

This I would say that one has to mix and match V1 and V1.5 parts to get the
optimum mix. I would say that all that one has to do is put the side skirt
plates of the V1 on the V1.5, and then it's set. I do not regret buying the
V1.5, and If anyone is thinking of buying it, then go ahead. My solution for
the rifle slot on the side skirt would be to cut out the hole.

So that's it, have fun!

flashlight.

www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486, DL (632)4485473 / fax: (632) 4167479
cel: 0917-4024780 / hse: (632) 7231308 (emergency use)
ICQ#: 12914919

I am NOT a starving writer.