Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:03:34 -0700

KurenaiJiku wrote:

> Alfred,
>
> I'm trying to model the GM Custom's head in high poly...and trying multiple
> times...doesn't turn out too pretty in the end. Any tips on what to use
> for the head? Nurbs, patches (yeah right!), or good ol' modifiers? I'm in
> 3DS Max 3 right now...how would you go about modelling the different parts
> of the head?
>
> Thanks,
> Kuren

Well, from the improntu advice I'm getting around here it seems to be that for
mechanical type things that your best bet is modelling in polys. Extrude,
smooth, extrude, smooth, shoot someone in the head, repeat. It's what I thought,
too, but I'd never tried modelling in nurbs directly so I wasn't sure if that
would be better. Do a lot of measurements of the actual model's little plastic
head if you have one around. I don't remember any Gundam references giving those
stats so you'll have to figure it out on your own but having some starting point
like it's 5 cm wide by 4.5cm deep by 6cm tall is at least a way to ballpark the
whole thing so that it doesn't fight you so much. Modelling is hell, that's why
I don't do it. I'm not sure how 3D Max works but I've been told that start and
end with polys. Also, if you're going to use more than one texture map (FUCK!
I'm going to kill our switchboard operator if he keeps up with those goofy sports
stadium announcer style announcements overhead!! Just had to get that off my
chest.) for different pieces of the head then I'd suggest splitting out the
separate pieces. That way, if the maps for the head are fine but the map for the
fin or the eyes sucks then you can just concentrate on fixing those. Now you see
why modellers can make a lot of money in this industry.

Alfred.