KurenaiJiku (kurenaijiku@tech-base.com)
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:51:51 -0700

Alfred,

I'm trying to model the GM Custom's head in high poly...and trying multiple
times...doesn't turn out too pretty in the end. Any tips on what to use
for the head? Nurbs, patches (yeah right!), or good ol' modifiers? I'm in
3DS Max 3 right now...how would you go about modelling the different parts
of the head?

Thanks,
Kuren

>Chris Maier wrote:
>
>> Just thought I'd show these, since they're on the net...
>> here's the links to them....with technique and a little rating section
>> underneath them(They are currently involved in a contest to win a Sazabi,
>> feel free to vote :) ). Anyhow, the models themselves are freeware and are
>> available if you look in the right places. Technically, they are 'built' by
>> others but are freely distributed-and then posed and rendered by me,
>> including the color variations. It's basically like a model kit. It's OK
>> with the site that I use them to enter the contest...there will also be
>> later entrants. But seeing as there is in an interest in 3D art here, I
>> thought I'd show these...
>>

>On the assumptions that -
>
>These models are capable of being posed as well as a HCM toy
>
>You can do all the lighting, animating, rendering in that one package you're
>using
>
>The software is around as good as Lightwave or 3D Studio Max...
>

>I'd say that your poses are way too simple, they appear to just be hanging
>there. I'd get some sort of model box art type pose to start with and
take it
>from there. The comment about the star fields that somebody else put up is
>true, they don't look like stars, they look like sats. Don't use so many
fill
>lights for the models if you're going for realistic looking renders, Use a
sun
>key that's a little yellow, an Earth fill that's a little bit cool (blue) and
>maybe the slightest of bounce from the other MS. Any thrusters or gun shots
>you may want to add would require extra fill/bounce lights. If you can,
>change the textures for the suits, too, it looks plastic. I'm thinking some
>renders like in the Gundam Fix book. Some of the space shots had the
Earth in