Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
15 Sep 2000 19:32:05 -0000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:16:18 -0400 Chris Maier <oom9@crosswinds.net> wrote:
>I think it means that Qui-Gon sort of has a tendency to do things his own
>way, against the wishes of the council. Like, for instance, picking up
>misfits like Jar-Jar and Anakin and disagreeing with the council on some
>points.
>BTW has anybody given any thought as to why we have Qui-Gon when Obi-Wan
>refers to Yoda as his master in ESB? I have a number of theories-
>1)A dead Qui-Gon couldn't exactly show Luke the ways of the force, so
>Obi-Wan deferred to that other surviving Jedi, and to give Luke added
>incentive, he said "The Jedi Master Who Instructed Me". Makes sense, since
>Obi-Wan basically lied the whole time anyhow
>2) Yoda did instruct him sort of like a police instructor, he learned the
>basics from Yoda and Qui-Gon became his field partner so to speak. Supported
>by some books.
>3) Maybe Obi-Wan got some additional training from Yoda after Qui-Gon's
>death. Lucas said that we'll see the 'dissiapearing trick' be tought to
>Obi-Wan by Yoda.
>4)Lucas screwed up big time.

"The truth often depends greatly on our own point of view." (ok, it's been awhile since I watched the movie. The quote might not be quite exact).

As you pointed out, Obi Wan called Yoda the Jedi Master that taught him. However, this does not neccessarily mean that much. He already knew that Yoda was a good teacher. One of the best in the Jedi annals apparently. However, this does not make his being a Padawan Learner of Qui-Gon invalid. He might have been refering to how he will later learn that Yoda was right about Anakin. Thus, he was taught. He might have been refering to a time shortly after he was taken from his family by the Jedi and before he was given to Qui-Gon as a Padawan. We don't know for sure, at least not yet. It may be revealed in later movies.

As for the dissappearing on death thing, some have suggested that it was only a trick known to Jedi Masters, and that Qui-Gon had not learned it yet. Others say it requires a few moments of calm preperation (which Obi Wan had when Vader was destracted just before striking). We don't know yet. Lucas says it will be explained in one of the next two films. We'll see.

Roland